Totara Learn Open Discussions

Can I hide a course but still enable folks to access by a direct link

Matt Williams
Can I hide a course but still enable folks to access by a direct link
by Matt Williams - Wednesday, 24 July 2019, 1:08 PM

We would like to make some course materials available to a subset of our users. I was wondering if there is a way to hide a course from appearing in any lists of courses, but allow a student with a direct link to the course to be able to access it. Again, it should not show up in any list of courses, but any student with that link can enroll. 

Is such a thing possible? 

Craig Eves
Re: Can I hide a course but still enable folks to access by a direct link
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 25 July 2019, 9:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt

If you hide a course through audience based visibility or hiding with the eye icon without audience based visibility turned on the course will not appear in the list of courses. However the direct link to the course will not work if the course is hidden.

Can you describe why you require the direct link to the course to work and the catalogue not to work?

regards

Matt Williams
by Matt Williams - Friday, 26 July 2019, 6:29 AM

Recently we had a customer event and ran a bunch of workshops. Each trainer ran a presentation then the student did hands on pieces using katacoda. Eventually we will turn those workshops into full courses but for now we just want to share the content as needed. But it always comes with a conversation about how this is in a beta state. So we don’t want it to be publicly available to all but do want it on the learning site to share the same user credentials. 

James Landrigan
by James Landrigan - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 8:08 PM

Hi Matt,

If you have audience based visibility turned on and you know which learners you want to be able to access the courses, you could enrol the learners and set the audience based visibility to enrolled users only. 

That might work.

James