Totara Learn Open Discussions

Messaging learners on course completion

James Landrigan
Messaging learners on course completion
door James Landrigan - Wednesday, 31 July 2019, 20:51 PM

Hi There,

We have a group of 12 courses that learners can complete on demand. Is there any way to send message to learners once they have completed a certain number of any of the courses, say 4 or six? To give encouragement. 

Many thanks

James

Craig Eves
Re: Messaging learners on course completion
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 15:22 PM
Groep Totara

Hi James

Using programs you can add courses into course sets and add a course set completed message  with the encouragement message.

Regards

James Landrigan
door James Landrigan - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 16:30 PM

Thanks Craig,

Am I right in thinking that in a program you can say complete "all of these 4 courses" or "any of these 4 courses" to complete a set? Whereas what I would like to say is complete "any 4 of these 12 courses" to complete the first set.

Does that make sense?

Regards

James

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 17:59 PM
Groep Totara

Hi James

I think that was the case you could complete all or one of the courses in the course set.

There is an option to complete a minimum number of courses in a course set 

If you don't have the minimum course completed option then you can create a course custom field to store a course score in and use the Minimum score field to complete the set when the total scores from the completed courses is met.

Regards

James Landrigan
door James Landrigan - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 18:40 PM

Hi Craig,

I think that's perfect thank you. Is that new? I haven't noticed it before.

While I've got you I'm also looking at messaging within courses. I know you can send a message based on a single activity completion but can you send a message based on completion of a group of activities within a course?

Many thanks

James

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 19:40 PM
Groep Totara

Hi James

If you can send a message on a single activity completion then you could hide this activity with access restrictions based on the group of other courses being completed.

This would mean the activity would only be able to be accessed and completed when the other activities have been completed. This restriction could also be used on course sections as well as individual activities.

Regards

James Landrigan
door James Landrigan - Thursday, 1 August 2019, 20:12 PM

Thanks again I'll give it a go :)