Totara Learn Open Discussions

HR Import -- jobassignment.csv

Carol Papish-Putnam
HR Import -- jobassignment.csv
by Carol Papish-Putnam - Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 11:37 AM

We are in the process of implementing a Totara site.  I was told by our consultants that the only purpose of the jobassignment.CSV file (part of HRImport) was to link/assign a Manager to a user. They said that the idnumber field in the .CSV file was not a number associated with an actual Job Assignment but only had to do with the order of the records in the .CSV file.  Neither of these statements makes sense to me.    And the information I'm finding that discusses the fields in the jobassignment.csv file doesn't seem to agree.  Can someone please clarify the purpose of the jobassignment.csv file and point me towards documentation that will help explain that clearly?  Thanks in advance.  Carol.

John Wiles
Re: HR Import -- jobassignment.csv
by John Wiles - Wednesday, 4 September 2019, 12:24 PM

The job assignments csv file ties the organization hierarchy, position hierarchy, and manager hierarchy into the user through each job assignment. It also defines when a manager would have access to that user, and their training records. That is it's function, based on my understanding with our implementation.

I suppose basically speaking it could only be used for the managerial role as the organization and positions information is not required.

In my experience, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the idnumber field has at least three purposes in the csv. They are: 

1) it serves as the id for that particular job assignment in your csv generation; 

2) it serves as the key for the manager assigned, use it as the managerjaid. As HR Import requires the managerjaid to exist in the file.

3) it also serves as the identifier in the mdl_job_assignment table that HR Import will use to update the record on each import

But that is as far as it goes. Since that id isn't the key in the actual table.

I'm not sure how it would impact the order, as I haven't seen it having an impact. The number just has to be unique for each record. In our csv the numbers are not in sequential order.

Hope my ramblings helped.

John

John Wiles
by John Wiles - Thursday, 5 September 2019, 4:02 AM

Just as a followup, if someone is actually scrolling through your jobassignment.csv file then I suppose having the records iin sequential order by idnumber fields  would help you when manually viewing the file before import.

If I need to do that, then I just import the csv into a spreadsheet and sort it as needed.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 5 September 2019, 5:40 PM
Group Totara

This file does do more than assign managers - there is some documentation on  the fields and purpose of them.

There are also validation checks such as checking to see organiastionid exists on the site before adding the record. Also checking that there are no circular references in the management hierarchy ie 

A is manager of B 

B is manager of C

C is manager of A