Totara Learn Open Discussions

Summary of Declared Interest in a Report

Sue Blake
Summary of Declared Interest in a Report
by Sue Blake - Monday, 16 September 2019, 6:52 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi, I'm very new to Totara and struggling to find answers to some questions about the functionality.  One thing I am trying to do is run a Declared Interest Summary report.  Basically I would like a report that lists all our courses and the number of people who have declared interest.  

Does anyone know if this is possible to do?  I'm struggling to work it out. and the only report I have found that is similar shows numbers on a Waiting List (but we don't use that function).

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Sue

Craig Eves
Re: Summary of Declared Interest in a Report
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 16 September 2019, 4:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

Welcome to Totara - there is an existing report source  Seminar Interest that can be modified with the Report builder

To count the number of users in each seminar who have expressed interest requires an Aggregation count for each user. See the above help docs link for more examples of aggregation.

Some reports already have the aggregation built in but this report source doesn't

Regards

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 7:28 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator
That is really helpful Craig, our system didn't appear to have a Seminar Interest report but I was able to create a new one and used the Count Unique option.  I couldn't seem to get the report to generate a summary (what I am after is the seminar name and a total for how many people have declared their interest).  I had to export the data into Excel and then create a pivot table.  Is there anyway the report can be tailored so when I run it the result is the summary info?
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 19 September 2019, 7:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

What version of Totara are you using and what data source - is there a warning saying custom aggregation of columns may produce unexpected results?

regards

Quentin Geeraerts
by Quentin Geeraerts - Friday, 1 May 2020, 3:04 AM

Hi Craig,

I do get that warning in a Seminar events report.
My problem is that I want to group the event start dates by month in a report, but get the unexpected results.
I can pull the same report for course enrolment dates (for example), but with the event start dates I still get a line for every single event start date (not grouped, although you don't see the whole start date, but indeed the grouped result label (month (textual)))

How can we group/aggregate the fields where we receive that warning message?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 4:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Quentin

The seminar events report is already aggregated by user field so I can't think of a way to unaggregate this in report builder.

There may be another report source that is not aggregated - I checked the 'Seminar Signups' source and this looked promising but couldn't get it to aggregate as required.

Exporting the Event start date to a format that a spreadsheet can aggregate is possible.

Regards

Monique van der Vorst
Declared Interest Report - empty field
by Monique van der Vorst - Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 12:26 AM

Hi Craig,

At this moment we use Totara 10 without the Declare Interest functionality. In March 2020 we will release Totara 12 and we start offering Declare Interest and its reports.

We struggle however with the declared interest report based on 'Seminar Interest'. Specifically the column 'User's Fullname' gives us the problem of an empty result when viewing the report.

Besides Admin and Event Managers, we also will provide this report to learner managers to see their staff's Declare Interest items.
For that reason we prefer not to provide the 'User's Fullname (linked to profile)' column, because we do not want managers to be redirected automatically to their staff's profile page when clicking in the report on their staff's name.

Below screenshots show column settings and report result. Is the empty field a bug specifically in this report? In all other (embedded) reports the field (withou the link to profile) work perfectly and show resulats as expected.

Can you please help us with this?

Declare Interest report column failure

Monique van der Vorst
Re: Declared Interest Report - empty field
by Monique van der Vorst - Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 1:28 AM

Hi Craig,

Good news!

We found the solution for showing the 'User's Fullname' field in the Declare Interest report.

This specific column needs Aggregation on 'Comma separated values'.

Below screenshots show the settings and the results as expected. Regards, Monique

DI report expected results

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 7:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Monique,

Thanks for reporting this, it looks like a bug & I've asked our dev team to investigate. Is it possible for you to use another column in the meantime? Maybe User's Fullname (Linked to profile)?

cheers,

George.

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 11:10 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Monique.

I can confirm our Development team found this issue to be a bug and fixed the user's fullname column in the Seminar Interest report source. The fix for this issue has now passed internal review and testing and is expected to be included in the next release, so you can take advantage of this in Totara Learn 10 (10.31), and Totara Learn 12 (12.16) when you upgrade.

Please get in touch with your Partner to discuss scheduling of an upgrade. For future issues, please contact your Partner if you identify a technical issue with your Totara Learn site. They have access to the Totara Support team and a dedicated channel for support, which enables us to jump on top of these issues quicker for all of our Partners and Subscribers.

I hope this is good news for you. Have a great week, Monique. :)

Cheers!

Tom (Totara Support)

Tom Wood
by Tom Wood - Friday, 27 March 2020, 2:54 AM
Group Totara

Hi Monique,

A fix for this issue has been included in Totara 10.31, 11.25, 12.16 and Evergreen, which were released today.

[For further details of this change and all other fixes and improvements that were included in the releases go to the community forum here.|https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24114].

Thanks.

Totara Product Support