Totara Learn Open Discussions

Activity visibility based on user selection

Simon Hall
Activity visibility based on user selection
by Simon Hall - Thursday, 31 October 2019, 8:20 PM

Hello

On a course page, I would like to tailor activity visibility based on the selection a user makes.

For example, I would like to ask the user if they align to Option A or Option B, and then display the activities that are relevant to this selection.

Is there a neat way to do this on Totara 2.9?

I believe I can set it up as a multiple choice quiz with the 2 options, and then apply a grade to each option (Option A is 50% correct, Option B is 100% correct) and set Activity visibility based on the grade in this quiz. However, the quiz activity is quite cumbersome in this regard due to the requirement to submit the answer, review the answer and go through several screens to get to the actually question.

Are there any other options?

As a final note, I will required the user to be able to change the selection themselves.

Actually, to clarify this further, we are training in the use of a piece of equipment, and Option A is for a new user (ie not done any training) and Option B is for an experienced user (ie have already done the course).

I have been managing this access through two different groups, but I would like to automate the process so it doesn't require my input to change the user's setting.

Thanks for thinking about this challenge.

Simon

Simon Hall
Re: Activity visibility based on user selection
by Simon Hall - Thursday, 31 October 2019, 9:07 PM

I think I have an effective and simple solution to this.

I can use a label were the Learner can manually mark the activity as completed.

And then all subsequent activities are visible depending on completion of the label.

The user is then able to turn this on and off as required, and I can have two labels, one for Option A and the other for Option B. Content between the options is not restricted, it is mostly just to help the Learner get to the key points quicker. 

Cheers, Simon