Totara Learn Open Discussions

Creating Groups from Seminar Enrolment

? ?
Creating Groups from Seminar Enrolment
by ? ? - Thursday, 23 January 2020, 5:03 AM

We have a number of seminars created and want to create groups within the course based on the seminar enrolment. I can see how to do this manually. Is there a way to automate it.

Peter 

Sam Hemelryk
Re: Creating Groups from Seminar Enrolment
by Sam Hemelryk - Thursday, 23 January 2020, 12:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter,

It is not possible out of the box to automate course group membership based upon seminar enrolment presently.
Unfortunately I have not heard of anyone having made this as a customisation or plugin either.
There are however a lot of customisations and plugins out there, and perhaps someone in the community has already built this and can share here.

Kind regards
Sam Hemelryk

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 24 January 2020, 12:14 AM

Thanks Sam,

I thought that may be the case.

Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Thursday, 23 January 2020, 2:30 PM

Hi Peter,

We've got a custom solution that's somewhat similar to your description, but also the other way around... 

What we've built is a modified version of Seminar Direct Enrolment, where the learner gets to choose between available groups - and where each group is related to a series of events (one event per seminar activity in the course). 

This way, when learners enrol to a course they choose a series of events (to which they sign up), and are simultaneously made members of that group. Probably this could also be used to only enrol/sign up to a single event, in order to be assigned to a group automatically. Not sure if it could be used for your purpose though.

Cheers,

Rickard

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 24 January 2020, 12:17 AM

Thanks Rickard,

That sounds promising. Is this custom solution available to others?

Peter

Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Friday, 24 January 2020, 1:37 AM

Hi Peter,

We could share it 'as is' with you/your partner if you'd be interested. However, the custom solution does require some (minor, I believe) core changes in the Seminar activity. 

Rickard