Totara Learn Open Discussions

Create an audience for Trainer role

Janne Butcher
Create an audience for Trainer role
by Janne Butcher - Monday, 27 January 2020, 7:30 PM

Hey

We have a number of courses that have a number of trainers (nature of our business) - is there a way to create an audience that includes these trainers that gives them the trainer role?

thanks

Craig Eves
Re: Create an audience for Trainer role
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 28 January 2020, 2:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Janine

It is possible to assign system roles using an audience - If you assign users as trainers at a system level then the user will be able to access all courses and have trainer rights for them all which is probably not what you want.

I suggest using the upload users feature and include the trainer role for the user in the course.  Use the columns  course1, role1 for each course where the trainer role is required . The role id for the trainer (usually 2) is the data to put in the column. See the link above for more details on what format the file should be in.

Regards

Janne Butcher
by Janne Butcher - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 3:49 PM

Hi Craig

I found a solution - which I thought I would share with you.

You create an audience with the Trainers included, 

Then go in the Course/User/Enrolment Methods

Add Method > Audience Sync > Give it a name > Choose the audience > Assign role as Trainer > Add Method

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 4:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Janine

Thanks for sharing your solution - this will work as well and is easier as long as there aren't too many courses requiring this.

Using audience sync can also be used to assign the audience member to course groups. 

regards