Totara Learn Open Discussions

How to make Rehired employees take the same orientation as New Hire?

Carol Papish-Putnam
How to make Rehired employees take the same orientation as New Hire?
door Carol Papish-Putnam - Wednesday, 29 January 2020, 08:43 AM

We have added two dates to our Totara user profiles -- HireDate and RehireDate.  We already have an audience setup for NewHires whose HireDate > 10/1/2019 (our implementation date).  The people in this audience are automatically enrolled in the NewHire training.  However, if someone leaves our organization AND is then rehired AND the Rehire date is > 365 days from their Hire Date, we want them to take the NewHire training again as a refresher. 

We could duplicate the New Hire training courses for these Rehires but that would mean that any change to a NewHire Course would need to be manually copied into the Rehire course set which is definitely something we don't want to do.

Another option would be to setup another Audience for Rehires and automatically enroll the members of this audience into the NewHire training.  But the Ruleset for this audience would need to include a date comparison, e.g. RehireDate > HireDate + 365, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the Audience Creation section. 

I am sure that we can't be the only organization in this situation so I wanted to ask how others have solved this issue.  I'd appreciate hearing any successes and failures.  Thank you in advance.  Carol.

Craig Eves
Re: How to make Rehired employees take the same orientation as New Hire?
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 15:42 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Carol

This sounds as though this scenario is suitable to set up as a certification if the Newhire course is required to be completed by everyone who hasn't completed this for a year or a program if this is only required to be completed once.

If the user is suspended and they are unassigned from the certification their certification progress will be reinstated if they are reassigned to the Certification. 

To counter the reinstatement of certification or program progress a purge type for suspended users that deletes their Program or Certification assignment and progress.

I couldn't think of a simpler way to achieve this but others may.

Regards