Totara Learn Open Discussions

Reporting in Totara

Brady Hann
Reporting in Totara
de Brady Hann - Thursday, 13 de February de 2020, 15:54

Hi All,

Couple of questions around the reporting capability within Totara.

1. Is it possible to report on course completion by enrolment method? Would love to see who is completing courses that they were assigned vs who is completing courses they have manually enrolled themselves into.

2. Is it possible to have multiple entries in a filter within a report? For example, if I have a filter for "Users Full Name doesn't contain", am I only able to exclude one name using this filter?

3. Is it possible to have a report that has fixed filtering? For example, if I wanted a report that shows course completions over the past 7 days, can I set this up so that I don't have to manually adjust the report filters each time I view?

Thank you all, fairly new to the platform still!

me
Re: Reporting in Totara
de George Angus - Thursday, 13 de February de 2020, 19:17
Grupo Totara

Hi Brady,

1.   Is it possible to report on course completion by enrolment method? Would love to see who is completing courses that they were assigned vs who is completing courses they have manually enrolled themselves into.

We have an Enrolment Types filter in the course completion report which filters by Manual enrolments, Self enrolment, Audience sync & Program enrolment plans.

2. Is it possible to have multiple entries in a filter within a report? For example, if I have a filter for "Users Full Name doesn't contain", am I only able to exclude one name using this filter?

This isn't possible at present, we have a Feature request for the functionality TL-3097 - Support multiple values in report builder filters but this isn't likely to be developed in the near future.

3.  Is it possible to have a report that has fixed filtering? For example, if I wanted a report that shows course completions over the past 7 days, can I set this up so that I don't have to manually adjust the report filters each time I view?

You can use a Save search filter: 'If you have selected filters and searched for specific records, a Save this search button will appear on the right side of the screen. This allows you to save a common search to run again and make available to other users'.

Hope this is useful - please let us know if you have any other queries - and welcome to Totara!

cheers,

George.

Brady Hann
de Brady Hann - Thursday, 13 de February de 2020, 20:04

Thanks George, that's brilliant!

Vladimir Puaca
de Vladimir Puaca - Wednesday, 2 de December de 2020, 12:18
Grupo Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi George, 

thank you for the above replies. 

I was wondering, regarding Point 3 is it possible to set up restrictions for reports that we offer to a certain type of users in the system? I found out about Global restrictions, but I am not clear whether as administrator I can use different set of restrictions for different type of users?

The context is that I would like to set up reports for HR officers working in different parts of the world, but would like to set up so that they only see users based on the criteria - sharing the same country or region. 

Is something like this possible?

Best regards,

Vladimir

me
de George Angus - Wednesday, 2 de December de 2020, 17:31
Grupo Totara

Hi Vladimir,

This depends on how you have your hierarchies set up with respect to the HR managers you mentioned (it would be pretty straightforward to set up if you haven't already done).

You can control the content of the reports (ie what the user sees) using the following settings-

Show by the user's current position:

'When Show records from staff in the user's position is selected the report will display different records depending on their assigned position (A user is assigned a position in their User Profile on the Positions tab).

When Include records from child positions is set to:

• Yes: The user viewing the report can view records related to their positions and any child positions related to their positions.
  • No: The user viewing the report can only view records related to their position.'
or

Show by the user's current organisation

'When Show records from staff in the user's organisation is selected the report displays different results depending on the organisation the user has been assigned to. (A user is assigned an organisation in their User Profile on the Positions tab).

When Include records from child organisations is set to:

• Yes: The user viewing the report will be able to view records related to their organisation and any child organisations of that organisation.
  • No: The user can only view records related to their organisation'.

let us know if you have any queries!

cheers,

George.

Vladimir Puaca
de Vladimir Puaca - Sunday, 6 de December de 2020, 15:41

Hi George, 

thank you for the reply. 

To be honest, I had this option on my mind, but setting a report with embedded restrictions to which I could manually assign access to certain users (but also based on a dynamic audience) fits most with the needs that I have. Which means that sometimes some users are in charge of tracking certain population irrespective of their position/organization. 

Global restrictions were kind of interesting for me in that respect, but the trouble is that they are global :) 

Do you have any workarounds on your mind to set up something of the sort?

Best, 

Vlad 

Craig Eves
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 6 de December de 2020, 16:42
Grupo Totara

Hi Vlad

On reports that relate to users there is also a content restriction where you can restrict by audience.

If you are able to put all of the users into an audience - either dynamic and/or set then only records of audience members will be displayed.

Regards

Vladimir Puaca
de Vladimir Puaca - Monday, 7 de December de 2020, 02:52

Hi Craig,

thank you for the reply. 

As much as I know, I can schedule a regular report (CSV file, for example) to be sent to certain users and schedule them in a way that only certain records are in the report sent to those users (using the audience for example). This is fine & this is the approach that I've pursued so far.  

However, in this case I would like to set up a type of report in LMS (self-service) for certain role (let's say HR role). Additionally, I would like to be able to make these self-service type of reports in LMS in a this way:

1) Course completion - Western Europe (available only to HR based in one of those countries)
                              2) Course completion - North America

but also make these reports accessible to certain users as well (for example, Compliance officers) which don't have to be (and often are not) based geographically/organizationally in those countries. 

I know this is maybe too complicated, but just wanted to see if you have any ideas that could help me go between Scylla (custom request for access to reports regarding certain users) and Charybdis (GDPR & not making everyone's records visible to everybody).

Thankful for any ideas you may have!

Best regards,

Vlad

Stephen Catton
de Stephen Catton - Thursday, 3 de December de 2020, 01:42

Thanks, George

Sometimes i can't see filters for looking

Cheers

Stephen

Allison Soo
de Allison Soo - Thursday, 21 de January de 2021, 17:54

Hi George,

I would like to find out one thing about the save search from you.

I have a course custom field to store the customer of the course and I use it to filter the course data for different customer. When I create a save search with filter apply, let say customer = 'companyA' and display the save search to the companyA in the Report Table block. There is a link 'view full report' displayed in the Report table. When customerA view this full report, he/she can see the 'customer' filter and use it to generate and view report of other customer.

How could I hide the 'full view report' or any way I could disable/hide the filter from the report viewer?

Any tips is much appreciated. Thanks

Best regards,

Allison