Totara Learn Open Discussions

Streamlining the Course Launch Process

Ian Fletcher
Streamlining the Course Launch Process
door Ian Fletcher - Friday, 20 March 2020, 05:57 AM

Hello,

Currently, if I want to launch a course I need to access 3 different pages to get to the "Launch Course" button.  Is there a way to shorten this path or launch the course directly from the Find Learning page?

Please see the screenshots below from #1-#3 for my current flow

Thanks,

Ian

Craig Eves
Re: Streamlining the Course Launch Process
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 22 March 2020, 15:46 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Ian

A couple of things that can shorten the steps required for launching a course you are already enrolled in is to use the  Current learning block. This will show all learning currently enrolled in rather than all learning.

It is also possible to copy the launch URL of the SCORM package and add a label with the launch URL attached to it and hide the SCORM activity.

There is also a related feature request TL-22861 Reduce the number of clicks for self-enrolment that you can add your support to.

Regards

Ian Fletcher
door Ian Fletcher - Monday, 23 March 2020, 05:19 AM

Hi Craig,

I hope you and yours are well!

Thank you again for your quick responses.  I know I've been sending over a lot of responses over the last week and thank you for all of the support you've provided.

Ian

Ian Fletcher
door Ian Fletcher - Monday, 23 March 2020, 06:07 AM

Hi Craig,

I have attempted to create a label and included the URL to launch the course.  I am receiving the following error though.  Suggestions on next steps. Thanks, Ian

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 23 March 2020, 15:03 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Ian

Apologies the link is not a straight forward one to launch the SCORM 

I tried browsing for an html file in the SCORM package to launch the SCORM but didn't have any luck for the package I was using. 

Hopefully you can find the file that launches the package or someone else can help out.

Regards

Ian Fletcher
door Ian Fletcher - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 06:22 AM

Thanks Craig, I'll follow up with my team

Abel Henry
door Abel Henry - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 08:55 AM

Hi Ian,

On our Totara platform we've streamlined the process to have one or two clicks (for self-registration). 

Most courses have a "course summary page" which is basically a redesigned version of the page where you usually see enrolment options. It looks like this:  https://agora.unicef.org/course/info.php?id=15785

But for very simple assets (a document or a short video) there isn't really the need for a full page of description so our Totara Partner (Catalyst IT) created a custom course setting called "quick view" which enrols learners straight from the catalogue list view. This is indicated by button of a different color: https://agora.unicef.org/local/search/index.php?resetsession=1&search=Gini

Concretely learners are enrolled in the activity. We then have a block that allows easy unenrolment (easier than for regular assets) so that learners don't crowd they record of learning by just browsing through such resources... 

Clive Massyn
door Clive Massyn - Monday, 4 May 2020, 20:47 PM

Hi Ian, 

Did you manage to figure it out? I have also been looking for a way to make the process shorter. I have created the SCORM activity, orphaned it and added an image and copied the SCORM url link and added it to the image so it looks better but when the learner clicks on the image it stilll takes them to another page where they have to click on the 'enter' button.

Clive Massyn
door Clive Massyn - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 14:07 PM

A fantastic guy from Totara learn academy shared his SCORM settings with me and I discovered that if you change the 'Learner skip content structure page' from never to always the learner will skip the entry page and the SCORM activity launches straight away. 

When logged in as Site admin you will always see the enter screen but learners don't. I have not tested it completely so I don't know if there are any hidden drawbacks etc but it definitely cuts down on the number of clicks! I am on v12 btw.

Simone Kimber
door Simone Kimber - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 22:58 PM

Hi All,

I am curious to know how Totara launches a SCORM in 'one click' at Totara Academy.

It's not a label because it has a SCORM icon, and it launches straight from the course home page.

Our learners would love to see the 3 clicks gone, however I would be interested to know how the user then can 'start new attempt' on the SCORM package if required.

Any help of this from Totara would be fantastic!

Thanks, Simone

Jordan Ash
door Jordan Ash - Monday, 11 May 2020, 03:02 AM
Groep TotaraGroep TXP Site Administrator

Hi Simone,

Here are the settings we use in the academy to have the SCORM packages open in a single click. 

When testing this, make sure to log in as a learner because an admin will always see an additional page here.

You can also choose to force a new scorm attempt in the attempts management section.

If you want to give users the choice of whether to reset or restart this is something you may be able to enable in your SCORM authoring tool.

Simone Kimber
door Simone Kimber - Monday, 18 May 2020, 21:45 PM

Thanks! The difference was "Display course structure on entry page". I would need to test the 'force new attempt' in attempts management to see if it suits us. Thanks for your advice. Simone

Its me Rahul
door Rahul Kumar - Monday, 15 March 2021, 07:37 AM

Hi Jordon, 

Is it possible in Single Course Format with Scorm activity ,Learner skip Content Structure Page ? 

In the topic format learner skip content structure page is working absolutely fine but in the single activity course format, I won't get an option that learn can skip content structure = Always.

Thanks

Rahul

me
door George Angus - Thursday, 9 December 2021, 18:38 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Rahul,

When using a single activity course format the Learner skip content structure page does not contain an always link as it would lead to a bug in the experience when the learner completes the package.

We recommend that people use the "First" option, if using the single activity course format.

The issue occurs because the content structure page is where the learner is taken upon completing the course. If the always option is used then the learner will not be shown that page and instead will be redirected back into the SCORM package at the start.

regards,

George.

Lloyd Wilson
door Lloyd Wilson - Tuesday, 21 December 2021, 13:54 PM

Is it possible to open a SCORM package in the current window and have it display as it does for the "New window (simple)" option?