Totara Learn Open Discussions

Gradebook configuration and course completion with groupings

Hellmuth Sole
Gradebook configuration and course completion with groupings
by Hellmuth Sole - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 10:42 AM

Dear all,

I'm currently running Totara 9.9 and have a unique situation which I need to set up in my grade book and the completion status for a particular course.

I have a course which is comprised of 5 SCORMs and 1 Quiz.  The average of the SCORMs comprise 40% of the total course score and the remaining 60% is designated to the exam.

Those 5 SCORMs are actually comprised of SCORMs 1, 2 and 4, and SCORM 3 has two versions (version A and version B), with slightly different content between each.  I've managed to condition that Grouping A will only see version A, and Grouping B will only see version B.  The remaining 3 SCORMS (SCORM 1, SCORM 2 and SCORM 4) are seen by all.

Course completion in all my other courses is defined by completing all SCORMs and the exam, and achieving a minimum course score of 85% (which is obtained using the weighted averages mentioned above).

In this case, how can I configure course completion and the grade book to properly average the scores, and also register completion of only the SCORMs which are available to each grouping? I want to make sure that people will not complete a course by receiving for example 100 on a specific SCORM, and this would then give them a 100% score for the E-learning portion (40%) and then just take the exam and they're good to go.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Craig Eves
Re: Gradebook configuration and course completion with groupings
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 7:14 PM
Group Totara

Hi Hellmuth

It is possible to create formulas to calculate grades for the various grade items as described here

The formula follow the following rules and might look something like  below - 

• the rounded bracket need to go around functions
  • square double brackets around the variables 
  • Use  comma as separators
  • the same number of left and right brackets needs to be used 
The formula will be similar to below - not sure if I have this right but similar concept to spreadsheet formulas

=sum([[SCORM]],[[ SCORM 2]],max([[SCORM3a]], [[SCORM 3b]]).[[SCORM 4]])/4])

Regards