Totara Learn Open Discussions

SAML2 Error Messages fired when accessing category links from within MS files

Angela Grollmisch
SAML2 Error Messages fired when accessing category links from within MS files
by Angela Grollmisch - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 11:21 PM

We do encounter following issue in 12.13 when accessing a category from a link in a Microsoft document when accessing the link for the first time. Refreshing the site or launching the link again works as expected.

It looks like this is an authentication issue because in some cases we do get a SAML2 exception message which is false because IdP and SP are correctly set up.

In that particular case, the error message is even more confusing:

The SAML2 module looks good, as it did work for a while without any issue. Any ideas? Somebody did experience something similar?

I know the answer from Craig: SAML2 is not supported by.... That's why I'm asking the community.

Thank you.

Craig Eves
Re: SAML2 Error Messages fired when accessing category links from within MS files
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 27 April 2020, 3:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Angela

It is probably better to discuss this problem with the developers of the plugin.

It looks like there was a similar problem that was resolved using actions described here  

regards

Angela Grollmisch
Re: SAML2 Error Messages fired when accessing category links from within MS files
by Angela Grollmisch - Monday, 27 April 2020, 10:46 PM

Hi Craig, I saw this already, because I started looking at the plugin first; and in parallel I'm working with internal IT on the issue because it can be an authentication process problem as well. BTW: Course links do work, links to the most commonly used activities at our side as well.

It also doesn't look like a plugin issue because we did not had that issues with the plugin before. It worked fine for months. But it happens when using it with Totara. So, I'm investigating in every direction, and probably someone in the community had have the same issue. May be, someone has an idea. I'm going to post the solution if we get one, even if it were a workaround. BTW: Why doesn't Totara support SAML? This is one of most commonly used authentication methods.

Thanks, Angela

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 4:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Angela

Thanks for the background - some of our partners do use SAML2 so may be able to help.

The SAML2 authentication has been recently reviewed to included in Totara core - there are a few items on the todo list  that will make this difficult to include into Totara.

regards