Totara Learn Open Discussions

Course administration menu for a role in Course context level

Joyce Maurin
Course administration menu for a role in Course context level
door Joyce Maurin - Tuesday, 19 May 2020, 08:07 AM
Groep Partners

Hi,

I did not find a way to let my Trainers access the administration block (in order to access to the Course administration menu> Reports) when they are assigned this role by enrolment in a course context. I want them to access this block ONLY on the course they are Trainer for. And without the editing rights.

I tried with a copy of the Default Manager assigning a role without the "system" as context). I can make the Admin block appear by adding the big "Turn editing on" button and clicking it, but that's not what I want. I want is to be always there as when I'm Site Manager on a System context.

It looked so easy, maybe we missed a key point on our way? What I want : My Trainer, assigned with enrolment, to access reports. Is it possible? Did we set something somewhere that removed that?

Did some of you already faced this kind of issue and found a solution?

me
Re: Course administration menu for a role in Course context level
door George Angus - Tuesday, 19 May 2020, 15:12 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Joyce,

What version are you using? Have you edited the trainer role? 

cheers,

George.

Joyce Maurin
door Joyce Maurin - Wednesday, 20 May 2020, 00:39 AM
Groep Partners

Hello George,

Thanks for your answer. Here are more explanations.

We are on the v12. We created a new Trainer role based on the Editing Trainer role. But we face the issue with the standard roles.

We would like our Role to have this view and access to the course administration reports but without having to turn editing on:

We can access it with standard Editing & non-editing Trainer roles by adding the Course completion status block and using the provided link (with other infos we don't want, but we can hide it for the Learners), so I know the Trainer had the right to access it if link is provided:

But what I want to know is how can I allow my Editing Trainer access the full Administration block without they to turn editing on? I want they to access the report, not to edit it.

NB: You need to use the "Log in as user" function to see all that, 'cause if you use the "Switch role..." function you'll see the Administration block as you are an admin, that's tricky.

me
door George Angus - Thursday, 21 May 2020, 18:26 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Joyce,

Have you tried editing the Trainer role and prohibiting the capability 'Edit grades'? 

Cheers,

George.

Joyce Maurin
door Joyce Maurin - Wednesday, 27 May 2020, 06:43 AM
Groep Partners

Hi Georges,

If I've followed the advice, but I don't really understand the point.

Here are the settings:

And here is the result:

No "course administration block" to access the "reports"

Can only access to this report (accessed by Course completion status block I talked before)

Best regards,

Joyce

me
door George Angus - Thursday, 28 May 2020, 20:15 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Joyce,

Did you try this with a standard trainer role, or one which you have previously edited?

cheers,

George.