Totara Learn Open Discussions

Highest grade, not average grade in course completion

Simone Kimber
Highest grade, not average grade in course completion
by Simone Kimber - Friday, 17 July 2020, 12:36 AM

Hi All,

I am having a grading issue in a course and I'm hoping I can change this in the settings, however I'm not sure where.

There are two quizzes in the course.

Both are set to a passing grade of 70%.

Both are set to 1 attempt only.

If the learners fail the first quiz, they can attempt the 2nd quiz.

The completion settings in the course are set to 'complete any of the two quizzes'.

The quizzes do not complete until they reach a passing score of 70% in either.

The problem is a learner received 57% on the first quiz, and 77% on the 2nd quiz, giving the learner of a average course score of 66.7%.

How do I get the grade book to take only the 2nd score?

Thanks, Simone

Austen Sinclair
Re: Highest grade, not average grade in course completion
by Austen Sinclair - Sunday, 19 July 2020, 1:23 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Hi Simone,

While you should wait for the official Totara answer, we recently had an issue like this and used a Gradebook calculation - the MAX()  function -  to find the highest grade across two activities to be the Course Grade.

It's documented here;

Cheers
Austen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 19 July 2020, 2:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Simone

Using the Max grade calculation function to make the course grade total the maximum grade of the two quizzes would result in the course being passed when either the first or second quiz had a passing score.

There is also some discussion about activity completion requiring activity passing grades here 

Regards

Simone Kimber
by Simone Kimber - Sunday, 19 July 2020, 6:32 PM

Thank you all for your help, I had the course set to Weighted mean of grades, not highest grade. I need to spend some more time on training myself in the grade book.

Kind Regards, Simone

Alex Carrick
by Alex Carrick - Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 12:44 PM
Group Partners

Hey Simone - It's unclear if there are other activities within the course and how those are interacting.

BUT - considering your 70% completion passing percentage is already on the quiz, you may not need to set it for the actual course completion.

• If the Quizzes are set to complete when passed at 70%, then you just need the activities to be completed for Course Completion (vs. having to worry about the % at the course level)