Totara Learn Open Discussions

Restricted access timing

Deborah Cooke
Restricted access timing
by Deborah Cooke - Wednesday, 25 November 2020, 2:10 PM

Hello again

I have a course that has an additional survey needing to be completed approximately 100 days after learners have gone through the course. I have set a restriction around how and when the survey can be accessed and linked a reminder to the survey too so learners are 

I know that reminders don't count weekends according to your help documentation so I am having to adjust the reminder to coincide with the restriction so learners can view and access the survey on the same day in the future.

My question is: when I set the restriction for 100 days (for example) does this count weekends? 

Thanks

Deborah

me
Re: Restricted access timing
by George Angus - Sunday, 29 November 2020, 7:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Deborah,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I've asked our devs to have a look at the code. It seems to me to be a bit off if there are indeed two counting systems in operation here. If there are then its easy enough to use on online day-counter to sort out, but it would be a whole lot better if there were a consistent way to set date limits. I'll get back to you when our guys have investigated.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 30 November 2020, 1:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Deborah,

You are quite right, there's an inconsistency here (it looks like the weekday-only count for reminders was part of the spec we had in 2011 for the functionality).

I've created two Improvement tickets to address this. 

The first will include some text in the reminder UI which states clearly how the functionality works at present.

The second will address the inconsistency in the day count.

I think in the short term the only sensible way to deal with this issue is to use some kind of external counting method, I think its reasonably easy to arrange in Excel or similar.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

cheers,

George.

Deborah Cooke
by Deborah Cooke - Monday, 30 November 2020, 2:24 PM

Thanks very much George for confirming what I thought was going on.

It will be great to have the reminders and the restrictions timing identical in the future. 

Deborah