Totara Engage Open Discussions

Accessing surveys in Engage set to share with 'everyone'

Sam Taylor
Accessing surveys in Engage set to share with 'everyone'
by Sam Taylor - Friday, 11 December 2020, 6:09 AM
Group Partners

Hi all - thought I'd ask here as I can't find the answer anywhere.

With resources, if set to 'everyone' I can see them in the course catalogue

With surveys, set to 'everyone', how can I see them? 

• I can't see them in the catalogue (makes sense)
  • I can't add one to the dashboard as a featured link (potential feature request?)
  • But I can see it if shared with me directly
  • And I can see it if shared to a workspace I belong to

Am I missing anything? I had assumed it would be easier to locate if shared with everyone?

Regards,

Sam

PS - I LURVE Engage!

Daryna Shapkina
Re: Accessing surveys in Engage set to share with 'everyone'
by Daryna Shapkina - Sunday, 13 December 2020, 7:05 PM

Hey Sam, 

That's very sweet of you! Thanks for your kind words!! We LURVE ENGAGE TOO!

Now, on a bit more serious note - 

• I can't see them in the catalogue (makes sense)

Correct, not in catalogue - surveys mean very little out of context and just on their own, that's why they are not on catalogue.

• I can't add one to the dashboard as a featured link (potential feature request?)

Yes, totally, that's a really good one! I'll put it to my bank of Engage feature requests, makes perfect sense. We were a bit constrained in showing surveys and making them actionable as featured links block as dashboard require an update to support the new front-end technology that's used by surveys, this bit of work will need to be as a prep stage. It's strictly speaking possible but in a bit hacky way - I've done a few manipulations to kinda get the most of what an admin can do to achieve with this goal - see attached. Basically it will look like a resource tile (I made a simple screenshot and uploaded it as a featured link image) and linked it to the survey voting page, so people will see this tile - click it and get to the survey page where they can vote. I know it's far from perfect, but it at least helps promote the surveys through dashboards. 

• But I can see it if shared with me directly
  • And I can see it if shared to a workspace I belong to

These are both correct! We thought that the typical workflow is pushing surveys to people, so they are most likely to respond to it if it's shared with them directly or via the workspaces. However, making them better on dashboards is definitely going to bring a lot of value!

So my recommendation here for now would be to do a target share and maybe use this hack-ish way to represent it on the dashboard.

Please let me know if this helps! I'll be absolutely happy to assist more if I can!

Cheers, 

Dasha

Sam Taylor
by Sam Taylor - Tuesday, 15 December 2020, 6:40 AM
Group Partners

Hi Dasha,

Perfect response! 

"We thought that the typical workflow is pushing surveys to people, so they are most likely to respond to it if it's shared with them directly or via the workspaces."

• D'oh this makes perfect sense! Surveys are for testing the water at a specific time with specific people/groups, so why would they be a resource and find-able in the catalogue? Just proves how context is important when testing/trialling new features :)

And thanks for the workaround for sharing a survey on the Dashboard! I'll definitely be promoting this approach!

Regards,

Sam

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 24 November 2022, 6:30 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi Sam, 

I think we are both Totara users in the Didcot, Oxfordshire area.  Any chance we could have a chat about it?   

If you can spare some time to talk about how you are using it at your organisation drop me an email sue.blake@diamond.ac.uk.

Thanks

Sue

Sam Taylor
by Sam Taylor - Thursday, 24 November 2022, 7:12 AM
Group Partners

Hi Sue!

Sure I'll email you shortly.

Regards,

Sam