Totara Learn Open Discussions

learning plan notifications prevent from being submitted to manager

Wim Van Borm
learning plan notifications prevent from being submitted to manager
by Wim Van Borm - Tuesday, 22 December 2020, 7:32 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Hello,

We would like to to prevent that the manager receives an e-mail notification from within the learning plan when the user add, completes or makes any change to the plan. 

We have a user driven learning plan in which only programs are activated.

On messaging output level we have turned off all e-mail communication.However the managers still receive e-mails when a user is making changes or completes a learning plan.

We are using a Totara 12 instance.

Can you tell us how to prevent these mails from being send to the managers.

thank you.

me
Re: learning plan notifications prevent from being submitted to manager
by George Angus - Tuesday, 22 December 2020, 5:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wim,

The messaging functionality is an intrinsic part of Learning Plans - its not designed to be switched off & the problem with closing down all the messaging is it also affects other parts of the system where it might be needed.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to use Dynamic audiences instead of Learning Plans? Is this possible for you?

regards,

George.

Wim Van Borm
by Wim Van Borm - Wednesday, 23 December 2020, 12:28 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Hello George,

Thank you for your reply. That's what I was already afraid of. 

We are fully aware that closing down all the messaging is affecting a lot of communication within various parts of the system. However this is a specific request from a customer and this is also why the customer is requesting to turn off the notifications being send to the manager from within the learning plans. 

Switching to a dynamic audience instead of a learning plan is not really an option for this customer. :(

any other ideas are more than welcome.

kind regards,

Wim

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 10 January 2021, 7:12 PM
Group Totara
Hi Wim,

There's no way around this currently in Totara, without customising the code. We are scoping out a new Centralised Messaging Library with a view to enabling more effecting management of messaging site-wide & I've brought this thread to the attention of my colleague who is managing the project. 

Unfortunately in the short term there's not a great deal we can do, the functionality you need isn't there, possibly the only effective workaround would be to use some kind of content filter in the email server.

regards,

George.