Totara Learn Open Discussions

Tracking Continuing Education

Jacque Cardenas
Tracking Continuing Education
par Jacque Cardenas, Thursday 18 February 2021, 08:38

Hello, 

We are are on v11.9 and are looking for a solution to this problem that will carry forward to 12 and future versions.

Many of our online courses have continuing education credits for nursing, medical, respiratory, etc.  These continuing education credits can change from course version to course version.  

This means that I can't simply switch out a SCORM when a new version comes out and the contining education hours are different from the previous version.  I have to go to every program where that course lives, and create a new version of the program, decide how to deal with learners who haven't completed it, etc. etc.  

I am hoping to find a way to preserve the continuing education credit at the time a learner completes a course, and have that in some form of tracking for the learner--either in the record of learning, some other report that it is specific to each individual learner that I can link to a block for them to access, or have a certificate or a badge that preserves which version they completed and the contact hours that were specific to that version.  Whatever we do, it should allow me to replace the scorm contents, update the custom field to the current continuing ed contact hours, but still somehow preserve that information specific to the date for completed learners when they were marked complete.

Ideas?

Vladimir Puaca
Re: Tracking Continuing Education
par Vladimir Puaca, Thursday 18 February 2021, 13:09
Groupe Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Jacque, 

very interesting dilemma :) My input will not be specifically relating to the situation you are currently challenged with but will share some of the experience I had. 

We are tracking some sort of internal learning credits and learners can see the credits they've earned. Some courses in LMS carry a certain number of credits and upon completion, they are awarded to the learners. We've set up basically a custom course completion report & made it part of every learner's dashboard. But in our system, credits are awarded based on courses, or more precisely courses carry the credits. 

However, I am not sure what is the case in your situation? If different versions of the same training exist, would it feasible to create a separate course for every version of the basically same training? 

Hope this helps!

Best, 

Vlad

Jacque Cardenas
par Jacque Cardenas, Thursday 18 February 2021, 14:33

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience Vlad.  We essentially do have to create a separate course for each version whenever the "credits" for the new version are not the same as the previous version.  That is the reason I have to go into each of the programs and create a new program version every time we have a new course version. It's a bit of a nightmare.

But, if I could find a way for the learner to know what the "credits" were for the version of the course that they completed in the past, then my problem is solved.

Our Totara partner created a custom certificate for us, that when a user goes back in to print the cert at a later date, the cert has date the learner completed the course on the certificate.  If that certificate would also retain the number of "credits" at the time the user completed from our custom field, that would solve the problem too.  I have reached out to our partner to see if that is possible.  I thought I would also check here to see if there is another creative solution.

Vladimir Puaca
par Vladimir Puaca, Sunday 21 February 2021, 23:21
Groupe Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Jacque, 

thank you for clarifying. 

If you are making a separate course for every version of the training, then you can (I think) employ a similar solution that we introduced.

We created a custom course field named Number of learning credits and created a specific report similar to course completion where the most important column is Learning credits. After that you can put that report to every user's dashboard, but with the limitation that Progress for that course has to be Completed or Completed via RPL. That way, people can track their continuing education points. 

As for amending the settings for the programs, I am not sure which logic you are using for program completion, but if this particular topic is mandatory for the completion of the program, you can make a separate course set and for this topic and set that colleagues can take any of the versions to complete the program. I may be way off the mark here, as I'm not sure what a completed program should signify in your organisation, but just an idea, hope it helps. 

Best regards,
Vlad