Totara Learn Open Discussions

Problematic SCORM

Vladimir Puaca
Problematic SCORM
by Vladimir Puaca - Monday, 22 February 2021, 6:35 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi folks, 

my organisation bought/was gifted with a SCORM of training that started to make some trouble for us. 

This SCORM is a quiz and around 10% of all trials end up as status "Incomplete". This makes a problem in the next attempt as users are not given the option "Start a new attempt" when this happens. When users click on this activity, a screen with the previous quiz result just appears and even though the user may click on the Exit button, he/she is still considered incomplete and cannot try again to complete the quiz.  

I was wondering Is there any LMS options in general/for this activity only that I can tweak to avoid this problem from happening in the future? I was thinking of maybe setting the auto-commit option to yes, or something of the sort, but I'm not sure? 

Is there any other info that would be good to have before I decide what to do?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards, 

Vlad

Craig Eves
Re: Problematic SCORM
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 22 February 2021, 3:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vlad

If the SCORM content structure is not being displayed then the user will not see a button to enter a new attempt.

In this case you can select the 'Force new attempt' so a new attempt is created without having to click the Enter new attempt button.

See SCORM troubleshooting  for details of other SCORM settings that can help sort out any other problems.

Regards

Vladimir Puaca
by Vladimir Puaca - Tuesday, 23 February 2021, 3:13 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Craig, 

thank you for the quick reply and for pointing me to SCORM troubleshooting. 

Unfortunately, the problem with SCORM in question is that it doesn't send the status - complete, pass or fail to LMS, but stays incomplete even though the exit button is clicked at the end of the eLearning. 

Turning on Force new attempt does not solve the issue, unfortunately, as the user is returned to the quiz results on the second try. In the instruction that we received from the eLearning creator, it states that "you will want the LMS to continue to use the bookmarks and bring the student back to where they left off. Setting the Force New Attempt flag to No will allow the bookmarking function to work as intended". Nonetheless, I've tried with turning Force New Attempt to Yes & No, and neither works :) I would think that the solution to this problem has to do with tweaking SCORM activity so that it sends one of the statuses needed to enable a new try - complete, pass or fail, but I'm not sure how to do something like that. 

Status incomplete happens in around 10% of cases, by no means all, but it's still a lot of people :)

Thank you in advance!

Best, 

Vlad

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 23 February 2021, 5:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vlad

Ok thanks for testing out - not sure why the force new attempt isn't working as this is the intention of the setting.

Can you check the SCORM attempt - track details and the suspend_data field . Is there more than 200 characters stored here- If there is then the SCORM may be running out of storage to store the data for restarting the attempt.

There is a setting Enable SCORM 1.2 standard mode .Disabling this setting allows Totara to store more data . If your SCORM packages allow users to enter large amounts of text or if your package tries to store large amounts of data in the suspend_data field disable this.

If this doesn't help then please open a support ticket including the SCORM package and settings so we can investigate further.

Regards

Macaulay Trenchard
by Macaulay Trenchard - Monday, 14 June 2021, 10:56 AM

Hi there,

Was a solution to the issue ever found? I believe we're experiencing a similar issue at the moment and are struggling to identify why. The vast majority of users data is being tracked correctly. However, a small number of individuals are completing the course and nothing is being submitted to Totara.

The course went through testing on both Totara, and SCORM Cloud - because the issue happens so rarely, it's hard to replicate and find the source of the problem.

Out of interest, do you know which tool it was created in? Our course was built using Evolve Authoring.

FYI, I'm asking specifically about if the tracking issue was resolved, not the ability to reset the assessment. The assessment not resetting sounds like it might be saving data to the learners browser or device, which is being picked up when they relaunch. Disabling this functionality should fix this.

Thanks.