Totara Learn Open Discussions

Change timezone as a guest

Sean Putman
Change timezone as a guest
by Sean Putman - Saturday, 20 March 2021, 2:05 PM

Hi All,

We have a report set up that our users can see the list of upcoming seminars as a Guest. We have customers from across the globe viewing the sessions and there has been confusion (even with a not at the top) as to the time the course is offered in their timezone. Is there any way that a Guest could change the timezone (similar to the Language menu)? We know they can do it after login in, but we have a umber of countries where the learner will find the date they want to attend and an someone else will actually book them.

Just curious if there is any way we could build use the HTML block or something similar to change the timezone display.

Thanks,

Sean

Craig Eves
Re: Change timezone as a guest
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 21 March 2021, 6:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sean

I think the problem with changing the guest timezone is that there is only one guest account so if you changed the timezone and another user logged in as a guest they would see the changed timezone. 

A way around this is to save the time of the seminar event in Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) format and then point them to a site such as worldtimeserver.com where you can create a link for the UTC time and they can select their location 

Regards

Sean Putman
by Sean Putman - Monday, 22 March 2021, 9:16 AM

Thanks Craig, I appreciate your response! I was thinking this was the case. I appreciate the suggestion and will look into it. Ideally I would like to get them all to log in and set their profile. :)

I saw that language is appended to the end of the URL when changed for the Guest account. I wondered if there was the same type of information for timezone that could be appended. Then I could use an HTML block to make it appear as if they are changing the timezone without actually changing the Guest profile. 

Sean

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 22 March 2021, 3:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sean

Good thinking about the url - I tried changing timezone for a user but couldn't see this appended  to the url.

By default the guest role isn't allowed to edit their profile as this opens this up to abuse by unauthenticated users.

regards