Totara Learn Open Discussions

Prevent or impede content download

Peter Stollberg
Prevent or impede content download
by Peter Stollberg - Tuesday, 20 April 2021, 12:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

I know this topic is as old as the internet but I would kindly ask you for your support.

Is there any way to prevent or hinder the download of content within totara learn? Or are there any workarounds or best practices to get a somewhat similar functionality?

Some websites and elearning tools have the option to flag files as downloadable while preventing others from doing so. What options does totara offer in that regard?

I am fully aware, that these are just some stepstones and any dedicated user still can copy every content that is shown on his screen but I like to make it a bit harder and drive off the casual everyday user.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

me
Re: Prevent or impede content download
by George Angus - Tuesday, 20 April 2021, 7:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter,

At present the only sure-fire way to stop this is to deny access to the content in the first place, in other words its not possible in Totara  - as you say its an old problem when it comes to publishing content on the net.

regards,

George.

Tomos Davies
Re: Prevent or impede content download
by Tomos Davies - Wednesday, 5 May 2021, 1:27 AM

Hi Peter,

We have this problem also, our instructors like to use powerpoints and pdf files to share info that they will be teaching in their live events but don't want them to be downloaded.

The only way we could prevent this was to sign up to a 'flip-book' service which turns the pdf into an interactive page, essentially HTML5.

This gave us the option to 'prevent download' on the documents.

Obviously it depends on the files you need to restrict.

Hope this helps!

Tomos