Totara Learn Open Discussions

Totara v12 in China

Rebecca Braunert-Plunkett
Totara v12 in China
על ידי Rebecca Braunert-Plunkett בתאריך 24/05/2021, 04:54
קבוצה Learn Site Administrator

Hello,

I'd like to get the community's input about an issue that was reported by our Chinese team.

As background info: 

We are using Totara v12 for both employees and customers, and we've been heavily relying on audience visibility settings to emulate a multi-tenancy setup. This setup allows us to custom tailor content for our global customer base. 

So far we've launched external "channels" in Italy, France, Benelux and China to keep our users up to date on our products and solutions. 

After making the platform available to external users China, we have received feedback on extreme slowness for both user registrations and content access due to local restrictions (throttled bandwidth, etc.)

I'll run my question by our super awesome Totara Partner (shoutout to Kineo!), but am wondering if anybody out here has been utilizing Totara in/for China and is willing to share experiences, tips or best practices me?

I'll gladly provide further information :)

Thanks for reading- and have a great start to the week,

Rebecca

Zheng Xu
Re: Totara v12 in China
על ידי Zheng Xu בתאריך 24/05/2021, 06:32
קבוצה Partners

Hello Rebecca,

My name is Sam, a Totara Partner in China.

The extreme slowness is not uncommon for a Totara instance if it is hosted outside China. Since many web services (e.g. Youtube, Twitter, Google, AWS S3, box, dropbox etc.) are blocked in China, it is difficult to tell which has caused the slowness without a proper investigation.

That's one of the primary reasons why some clients choose to host Totara in China for their China operations.

I hope this is of help.

Sam

Rebecca Braunert-Plunkett
Re: Totara v12 in China
על ידי Rebecca Braunert-Plunkett בתאריך 25/05/2021, 07:32
קבוצה Learn Site Administrator

Hi Sam, 

thank you so much for your response- this is extremely helpful to know. 

Have a great day,

Rebecca