Totara Perform Open Discussions

Competency manual rating

Jill Scott
Competency manual rating
by Jill Scott - Wednesday, 23 June 2021, 12:44 PM

I would like to be able to rate a competency as an administrator for a user without giving the user/manager/assessor the ability to rate the competency themselves. Can you do this and if so how?

To give some context, I have a competency scale as follows:

1. Not assessed - rating applied when it is assigned

2. Not achieved - would like to manually rate this as an admin after reviewing training certificates when the user joins the business and they haven’t completed the course required by the competency by RPL.

3. Achieve - criteria based on completion of a course on totara or RPL record.

At the moment the only way I think to achieve a manual rating for #2 as an admin is to allow the user/manager/assessor to be able to rate and logging in as them. Is this right??

The risk I have with this is that raters may rate the competencies before the admin has the RPL certificates or rate it as fully achieved even if the user has not done the course. Either of these would be a huge issue for us.

I’m on v13 and would appreciate any suggestions?

Phil Williscroft
Re: Competency manual rating
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 23 June 2021, 7:52 PM

Hi Jill.

To introduce myself, I' the Perform product manager.

Jill Scott
by Jill Scott - Thursday, 24 June 2021, 12:19 AM

Hi Phil,

We were a bit concerned that if we assign the appraiser role in a different context it would give the assigned person the ability to rate competencies. I know this appear really controlling but in a heavily regulated industry such as ours, we need this level of control.

If there are no other options we’ll have to go down the appraiser route.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Thursday, 24 June 2021, 2:20 PM

Hi Jill.  Thanks for your reply.

I'm at home atm so can't access the product to test some ideas.  However your concern regarding sharing system roles is valid.  

I'm conscious that the health sector takes competency very seriously.  I'm very keen that Perform meets the Health sectors competency needs. It would be great if we can elicit some feedback from your peers as to how they manage this problem.

I'd also like to confirm that we are talking about a business admin role (e.g. management support).

Assuming that.  Are business admins associated to anything already in the system, e.g. a manager has an admin.  Or a group/team has an admin?

This will help me understand where to assign such a role (so its easy to manage as people come and go).

Another idea. 
This is about how RPL course completion is recognised by competency.  We could add a separate achievement path for 'course completed by RPL', so can set competency achievement accordingly.. 
Then we keep course completion discrete and allow competency to recognise RPL completion independently,
Is this an option (to explore)? 

Cheers

Jill Scott
by Jill Scott - Friday, 25 June 2021, 11:20 AM

Hi Phil,

Healthcare is definitely highly regulated as well as my own industry of engineer working in sensitive industries such as healthcare and care environment s. In fact, there are many industries that have critical competency requirements.

Yes, you are right we are talking about a business admin type role. Something that has no other context in the system. I’ve talked to some of my colleagues and they all think this is far better than using the “appraiser” role which really limits the context of its use elsewhere. We use the appraiser role in its traditional sense where we want someone other than a manager to assist with an appraisal. My colleagues share my thoughts that it would be good to have the competency completion role completely separate from the appraiser role.

I like your idea on or RPL completion, that would be really good. People move about my industry quite a bit, so being able to complete by RPL route would be fab!

When I was pondering what to do with my 3 ratings I did think it would be good if you could have a criteria - limited manual rating mix. So for example (using my criteria):

Not assessed - rating given on competency assignment.

Not Achieved - can be manually rated

Achieved - by course completion only

This way a user can rate that they have not achieved the competency but nothing more. In my case they would then be prompted to take further action by either sending their certificates via email or preferably uploading it in evidence. This partially gives the user control (and responsibility) without giving them the ability to rate the competency at it highest level without providing evidence or completing a course.

Not sure if that gives you any ideas for future or not!

Jill

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Sunday, 27 June 2021, 2:30 PM

Hi Jill.
Thanks for your responses.

I've created 2 tickets to represent these changes.

The first TL-31406 is to add a business admin role to the roles available for competencies and performance activities.

The second TL-31407 is add a Competency achievement by course RPL achievement path.

I'm less sure about limiting rating in a method as I think this has limited utility.  Rather I think we're better off driving the achievement result from the evidence source; in this case Course by RLP = not achieved, then achievement by course completion.  This has the added advantage in that it lowers the requirement for manual intervention.

In the short term, perhaps your partner has something to offer as a customisation to add an RPL completion pathway.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Tuesday, 29 June 2021, 7:57 PM

Hi Jill.

This thread just popped up.  https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25205.  This may offer opportunity for your case?

Jill Scott
by Jill Scott - Wednesday, 30 June 2021, 5:02 AM

How interesting! I am not alone looking for something around certificate submission! 

Thanks for sending this through Phil.

Jill