Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

changing language string for Program to programme

Paul Lowndes
changing language string for Program to programme
by Paul Lowndes - Monday, 19 July 2021, 8:10 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Have any UK customers found a quick way to do this?

The system language uses the spelling "program" across the site and we want to change it to Programme so it matches the language we use in courses and programmes 

I'm aware of language strings but not entirely sure of all the different contexts the word "program" is used across the site.

One of our developers seems to think their should be a setting that coverts all system language from american to english.

Is this the case?

Thanks 

P

Craig Eves
Re: changing language string for Program to programme
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 19 July 2021, 8:58 PM
Group Totara
Hi Paul

There is actually an English (US) pack available that has 913 changes from the English UK pack.

Interestingly not every non US country uses the term 'Programme' 

If you use a bulk replacement tool you have to be careful not to replace the placeholders with the word program in it.

You can use the language customisation to find all the strings with program in them and then replace these - there could be quite a few!

Regards

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 20 July 2021, 8:00 AM

Hi Craig 

Thanks for this. Our language pack is set as English (en) (screenshot attached). There is no other option in the drop down menu. Is the best the best one to use for a UK based site?

To clarify we want to covert the spelling from Program to Programme across the site.

Thanks

Paul

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 20 July 2021, 8:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

In most cases the UK pack has the generally accepted spelling for commonwealth countries.

To change the spelling you need to customise the language pack strings one by one through the language customisation interface 

I think there are some third party plugins that can do this in bulk but not sure if they are compatible with Totara.

regards

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Wednesday, 21 July 2021, 2:34 AM

Thanks Craig.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's gone through this process and can give me a few tips on which language strings I should focus on.

Thanks

Paul

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 25 July 2021, 4:16 PM
Group Totara

Hey Paul,

I think on balance its probably worth just doing a global search for all instances of 'Program' in the LP across the site - there probably isn't a massive amount and a manual edit wouldn't be too onerous.

cheers,

George.

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Monday, 26 July 2021, 3:15 AM

Thanks George