Totara Learn Open Discussions

Logging ongoing learning hours

Rebecca Hunter
Logging ongoing learning hours
door Rebecca Hunter - Monday, 4 October 2021, 07:39 AM

Good afternoon

I am currently using V12 but looking to upgrade to V14 (or wait and go for V15 in the new year) 

Our business deals with apprentices and one of the things I am struggling to find a solution to is how to record learning hours. We current use evidence to do this but it is hard to audit and inconsistent. 

The requirement is that periodically (sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly and can be ad-hoc) students need to add the hours they have spent 'learning' to the site. This is a regulatory requirement and we have some bespoke coding that shows us how many hours they have logged v's how many they need to log during the programme.

Cn you think of any better way we can allow them to log hours in the system that can be reviewed and accepted by a tutor and work cumulatively?

Many thanks.

Craig Eves
Re: Logging ongoing learning hours
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 4 October 2021, 19:00 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Rebecca

Totara 14 includes Performance activities  that can be created periodically for selectable participants for viewing or responding. This also has the option of reminder notifications.

One of the question types is a numeric rating or custom rating. These  numeric responses can be aggregated in performance activity response reports.

That's a lot to take in - for something more guided there is a Performance activity course  that you can enrol in that covers this 

regards

Ray Lawrence
door Ray Lawrence - Tuesday, 5 October 2021, 01:05 AM
Groep Partners

Thanks Craig.

How would you suggest setting this up to permit multiple items to be be recorded in a single day?

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 5 October 2021, 19:57 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Ray

Are the multiple items being updated in regard to one learning item - if this is the case then the answer could be saved and not submitted so still available in draft form to the user and then they can add the further hours during the day.

If the multiple updates in a day are related to different learning items then a different section for each learning item with a rating can be setup and a learner saves to the appropriate section.

Responses can be re displayed and aggregated in a summary section or reported on if they are given a reporting ID.

Can you provide more details on the scenario you have with an indication on the numbers and frequency of the updates required.

Regards

Ray Lawrence
door Ray Lawrence - Thursday, 7 October 2021, 02:05 AM
Groep Partners

Thanks. No specific use case, I just wondered if I'd missed something regarding multiple additions during the day.

This requirement (and CPD in general) could probably be met by implementing a numerical field. Sadly, TL-11232 has been open since 2018 and isn't on any roadmap as far as I'm aware.

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 7 October 2021, 16:09 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Ray

I agree summing hours would be better in Learn through summing a custom numeric field.

The aggregation of numeric fields i was meaning is in performance activities . This can aggregates several activity question responses and includes average, max, min  and median but not sum

regards