Totara Learn Open Discussions

Learn V12 - Certifications and changing names of courses

Tanya Johnson
Learn V12 - Certifications and changing names of courses
על ידי Tanya Johnson בתאריך 20/10/2021, 21:06

We have a Certification with a couple of courses and the section wants to change the name of the courses. I'm concerned about what the ramifications will be if the course names are changed. For example:

Certification A:

Course B or Course C plus Course D

Change to:  Course E or Course F plus Course G

Apologies that I can't be more specific with course names.

תגיות:
Vladimir Puaca
Re: Learn V12 - Certifications and changing names of courses
על ידי Vladimir Puaca בתאריך 21/10/2021, 22:48
קבוצה Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Tanya, 

interesting dilemma :) 

Would you be changing the courses that comprise this Certification or just the names of the courses that in reality stay the same? 

Best, 
Vlad 

Tanya Johnson
על ידי Tanya Johnson בתאריך 22/10/2021, 01:23

Hi Vlad

One of the courses will have quite a few changes to it I think (I haven't seen those changes yet), but the others will stay essentially the same, only the names will change with maybe some minor changes to reflect changes to legislation.

They are SCORM courses if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Tanya

Vladimir Puaca
על ידי Vladimir Puaca בתאריך 22/10/2021, 07:08
קבוצה Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Tanya, 

I think if you just change the names of the courses this should present no issue. 

Also, if you are changing the SCORM file, as long as you don't delete the old SCORM activity and just change the SCORM file on the activity that should be equally OK. For example, if you have an annual certification for which the stakeholder is happy to just change the SCORM every so often, then, as far as completion tracking goes, it will have an effect only on the users who are yet to (re)certify as they will have to pass the new SCORM. For the users who already certified, nothing should change. 

One of the things which would help me decide on the approach with similar change is what my stakeholders expect the certification completion to show after the changes have been implemented. 

To illustrate my point I'll suppose that it's an annual certification. So, if somebody completed the certification day before you are to make the necessary changes, what would be the expectation of your stakeholders? Is this person certified for another year or would they like this person to be Not certified and expected to complete the courses once again? 

If the former is their answer, you have no problem :)

Best, 
Vlad

תגיות:
Tanya Johnson
על ידי Tanya Johnson בתאריך 26/10/2021, 18:20

Thank you Vlad, your advice is very much appreciated.

Tanya