Totara Learn Open Discussions

Create a certification path

Stephanie Hautot
Create a certification path
by Stephanie Hautot - Wednesday, 1 December 2021, 10:58 PM

Hi !

I'm looking for a solution: I need to create a certification path Initial valid for 5 years BUT after 2,5 years the learner has to completed an E-learning (Refresh)... can someone help me ! 

Thank you!

Tags:
Vladimir Puaca
Re: Create a certification path
by Vladimir Puaca - Thursday, 2 December 2021, 9:55 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Stephanie, 

I'm still a bit unclear what you would like to achieve? So once a user goes through a certification learning path, for how long is that completion valid? 2.5 years or 5 years? 

And also what happens after the user is recertified? For how long is that completion valid?

If you can share a bit more information on the expected functionality, I think it would be more certain what you were trying to achieve. 

Best regards, 

Vlad

Stephanie Hautot
by Stephanie Hautot - Thursday, 2 December 2021, 10:30 PM

Hi Vlad,

well the certificate has to be valid for 5 years. but meanwhile the learner has to succeed a refresh course after 2,5 years.  

The re certification is the same as the initial path.  

It's for a certification in security. The learner begins with an E-learning course and a test to obtain his certificate (valid 5 years) after 2,5 years he has to achieve a refresh and test. Than 2,5 years later he will be in his  re certification and has again a course and a test to achieve and so on..

I hope it's a little bit clear :-)

Thx for helping!

Vladimir Puaca
by Vladimir Puaca - Friday, 3 December 2021, 4:33 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Stephanie, 

thank you for the clarification :) 

I'm not sure how in Totara you can achieve exactly what you explained, but I'll write how I understand the situation & how I would go about setting this in LMS. 

From my point of view, you have 1 certification which is valid for 5 years  (eLearning & test). I would leave this one to have the recertification path the same and to be valid for 5 year. Let's call this one CERT1

Additionally, I would set up another certification which also has a validity period of 5 years (let's call this one CERT2). This certification would contain refresh material & test. However, the audience which controls enrolment to this certification would have ruleset: Certified for CERT 1 before the previous 910 days (2.5 years). 

It sounds a bit complicated, maybe it neads some tweaking, but seems like a viable option. What do you think?

Best regards,
Vladimir

Nathan Harris
by Nathan Harris - Sunday, 5 December 2021, 12:16 PM

Hi Stephanie,

Maybe I'm missing something here but if the initial path and the recertification path are the same then why don't you want to set the certification for 2.5 years?

What would be the reason for wanting the certificate valid for 5 years if the learner has to recomplete the course and test every 2.5 years? 

Cheers

Nathan