Totara Perform Open Discussions

Repeating objectives/actions

Rebecca Hunter
Repeating objectives/actions
by Rebecca Hunter - Monday, 14 February 2022, 6:49 AM

Hi

Do you have any suggestions on how we can deal with the requirement of having repeating objectives that are set each month/6 weeks? Currently, each objective has to be set up manually and this is time-consuming. Are there any plans to be able to set re-occurring objectives or any other solutions you can suggest?

Many thanks

Craig Eves
Re: Repeating objectives/actions
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 14 February 2022, 4:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Rebecca

Performance activities do allow a variety of questions including review questions with company and personal goals to be added or a rating scale question.

The performance activity can be created by setting the creation frequency.

Can  you describe what information is held in the objectives as this will influence the type of question that you select. Are these objectives reset each month or continue on until the objective is met?

Regards

Rebecca Hunter
by Rebecca Hunter - Tuesday, 15 February 2022, 2:10 AM

Hi Craig

Thanks for coming back to me. We use Totara for Apprentices and there are tasks that we would expect apprentices to regullaly complete e.g monthly. So it is the same activity each month and needs to be reset on completion and another task set.

Currently in V12 without perform we set an objective and the learner adds evidence to the objective to complete it. It is manual and as we are looking to introduce V15 and perform I would like to remove some of these unscalable admin tasks.

Many thanks

Becki.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Tuesday, 15 February 2022, 1:00 PM

Hi Rebecca.

To introduce myself.  I'm the Product Manager for the Totara Talent Experience.  

There's a raft of changes in Competency and Perform that will be ideal.  There's plenty of academy courses that can guide you.  I'll just highlight the ideas I think are relevant

Competency 

One of the big differences in TXP+Perform for competency is competency Assignment. 

https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH15/Competency+assignment

This removes the need to assign competency using a learning with assigning competency using audiences/positions/organisations.  The advantages of using audiences is of course that membership is dynamic so a user's assigned competencies will move as they move between audiences (as they progress their apprenticeship)

You can also setup competency proficiency to change based on assignment groups.  E.g.  A newcomer may be proficient at L1 of a competency, and a master tradesperson @ L5.  Thus the same competency can be used as skills develop.

Performance Activities

Performance activities offer a review question type.  

https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH15/Adding+review+item+question+type

In this question type competencies can be selected and the competency content is displayed in the questionnaire.  Participants in the questionnaire can then rate the subject competence in 2 ways; 1.  as a set of ratings for consideration (the questionnaire will present rating scales that are the selected competency's rating scale),  and 2.  as a competency rating that changes the rating on the competency.

Similarly you can review Goals using the review question type.

Repeating Reviews

You can setup a performance activity to repeat based on a number of criteria
see the activity instance creation settings section here

Goals vs Objectives

These effectively act as analogs.  The objectives system in learning Plans predates Goals.  As I've stated Goals however can be reviewed in a repeating performance activity, so in your case this offers more

The future

In case this matters.  As the Talent Product Manager UI see Learning Plans evolving from their current form as a way to link users to competencies and Goals to a mechanism to present a learner's Learning Development plan.  So a shift to expressing the work a learner has been assigned as a set of Learning Goals for the next period.  

But that's just my thoughts.

Please use the academy courses to get a feel for these ideas and don't hessite to speak to your Totara partner or us about getting a demo.

Ad of course I'm happy to answer any questions you may have now.