Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Sorting in Course Catalog

De Go
Sorting in Course Catalog
by De Go - Wednesday, 23 February 2022, 4:26 PM

Hello - I'm in Version 13, and I keep seeing visuals of a Sort dropdown on other systems at the top right of the Course Catalog; however, we do not have that on our system's interface. All we have on the top right is the option to show as tiles or a list.

How can I get the Sort Feature, so users can Sort Alphabetically? I can't find anything in the Filter settings, and I don't have the experience needed to change it in the code.

Appreciate the guidance.

Tags:
Craig Eves
Re: Sorting in Course Catalog
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 6 March 2022, 3:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi DeAnna

Can you check if you have multiple languages enabled - if you do then 

Sorting is automatically managed, depending on the status of the catalogue. In order of precedence (highest first):

• If the text search is active then sorting is by relevance
  • If Featured learning is configured then featured items will be sorted first, and the secondary sorting is by latest first (the latest featured item will appear first in the results, and the latest non-featured item will appear just after all the featured items)
  • Otherwise, sorting is by latest first
Regards

De Go
by De Go - Monday, 7 March 2022, 5:38 AM

Hi Craig - thank you for your response.... we do have multiple languages enabled, and we have Featured learning enabled as well. We tend to have more Featured learning for one audience more than others, so it would be beneficial to have some type of consistent order (such as alpha after Featured) as learners do not know what the order of courses are entered into by date.

Do appreciate your clarification - wish the functionality would work differently though

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 7 March 2022, 4:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi DeAnna

There is a setting where the dropdown/alphabetical sorting box can be re-enabled by setting the catalog_enable_alpha_sorting_with_multiple_languages config variable - see config-dist.php for details.

I think this may give inconsistent results with some language combinations as the alphabetic order and characters are completely different in some languages. 

You could try this and see if this is suitable for your different languages and if not then disable this.

Regards

De Go
by De Go - Wednesday, 9 March 2022, 6:20 AM

Hi Craig - Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to access the config-dist.php... I've not had any formal training for the Totara LMS, just learning as I go through these types of forums and the community. 

The only way I know to change settings is through the main interface.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 9 March 2022, 4:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi DeAnna

The config-dist.php file is only available to someone who has access to the web server.

This provides a list of common configurations with comments against each one. 

If you wish to change any configuration settings the file to request to be edited is called config.php which is located in the top level folder where Totara is installed.

Regards