Totara Learn Open Discussions

Totara Learn Version 12 - Upgrade benefits?

Sue Blake
Totara Learn Version 12 - Upgrade benefits?
di Sue Blake - Thursday, 10 March 2022, 08:15
Gruppo Good learner 2023Gruppo Most Helpful Contributor 2022Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023Gruppo TXP Site AdministratorGruppo V18 Program Complete

We have been running Totara Learn version 12 for the last 2 years and would be interested in comments/thoughts from anyone else who has recently upgraded to version 13 or 14.  Are there any real benefits in upgrading?

We have no plans to introduce Totara Perform or Engage yet.

Thanks

Sue  

Martha Hufham
Re: Totara Learn Version 12 - Upgrade benefits?
di Martha Hufham - Thursday, 10 March 2022, 13:41

I'd like to piggyback on this question.  We are using Totara Learn 12 and we are trying to understand the benefits of v14 or v15 Learn only.

We've looked at this chart but it doesn't give us the nuances of which features come with Learn specifically:

https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH15/Comparing+Totara+versions

We see some interesting features here talking about v14 that would be of benefits to several of our teams using the LMS:

https://www.totaralearning.com/sites/default/files/2021-05/Totara%2014%20Info%20Sheet.pdf

We don't have any contacts that have experience past v12 so we hope to be able to connect with others who have knowledge.  

Thank you!

Meredith Henson
di Meredith Henson - Friday, 11 March 2022, 05:31
Gruppo Totara

Hi Sue, hi Martha,

Thank you for posting your questions.

While I'd still encourage any people who are using Totara 13/14/15 to post a reply so you can get a user point of view, I thought Team Totara should drop some information on what's included in each release here so you can dig around the resources in the meantime.

Webinars on demand

We record all the webinars we produce or support.  We've listed a few here which might be of some use:

1. Introducing Totara Learn 13

1. What’s new in Totara 14

1. Measuring success: Introducing Totara’s new report builder (new feature in 13)

1. Setting up virtual training sessions with Totara Learn (Seminar updates in 13)

1. Theming Totara Learn (theme updates in 13 and 14)

1. Using Audiences in Totara Learn ( last section from 33 mins onwards talks about new abilities for Audiences in 13)

1. Enhanced multitenancy (MT updates in 13 and 14)

Help Documentation 

While the comparison table shows changes across the full TXP, the What's New pages are a slightly friendlier version of the release notes:

Courses

The Academy team have also created some courses which highlight the new features across the platform (plus award you a shiny badge for completion ;) :

There are also a variety of improvements that have been released since v12 back in 2018 so the Academy courses listed below might be helpful:

Future proofing

While I know you're not looking at Engage or Perform just yet, moving to the latest release of Totara Learn gives you the option to include social learning and collaboration into your L&D strategy via Engage, and to provide greater support and automation over skills-based learning via advanced competency management via.  You'll also have the opportunity to take advantage of the new innovations across Learn in each release.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Regards,
Meredith, Matt and Rachel.

Sue Blake
di Sue Blake - Tuesday, 15 March 2022, 01:48
Gruppo Good learner 2023Gruppo Most Helpful Contributor 2022Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023Gruppo TXP Site AdministratorGruppo V18 Program Complete

Hi Meredith, thank you for all the information, I've already started watching some of your previous webinars and I can already see the benefits of upgrading.

Jill Scott
di Jill Scott - Monday, 14 March 2022, 04:09
Gruppo Most Helpful Contributor 2022

Hi Sue and Marta,

Beyond v.13 - Can not recommend enough! 

I was also a bit concerned about the upgrade but the functionality in Perform and Engage were far too enticing for our business.  Even if you just use Learn, you and your users will have a much better experience that in v12 or before. 

For example, the report builder is far superior to previous versions and the fact that they are dynamic when you open them make the system look much more modern than previously.  There are also more graph options which can really set your site off.

I also personally love the seminar improvements and like the fact I can add my MS Teams account as a link in each of the seminar sessions which cuts down on admin in course arrangements amongst other great new functionality.

I would also mention the new multi-tenancy function which I don't use, but it is a real plus for companies who have different business units and want to keep the learning experience separate.  With everything on Totara, you could use this for different contexts and really it is only your imagination that is limited.

I've managed our LMS (and previously Moodle site) for about 7 years now and I definitely think the biggest leap of functionality progress has been on V13. I will not lie, we went from V9 to V13 then to V14 6 months later and it was an enormous learning curve but the feedback I get from users about the enhanced experience was worth it.

I hope that helps!

Jill

Sue Blake
di Sue Blake - Tuesday, 15 March 2022, 01:49

Hi Jill, thank you for taking the time to post a reply.  It is great to hear first-hand what the upgrade has meant to you and your organisation.

Sue

Csaba Gloner
di Csaba Gloner - Monday, 28 March 2022, 07:22
Gruppo Good learner 2023Gruppo Partners
Does someone has a list of the differences between Learn/Perform/Engage in each version?

There are infos about this, for example:

“If you have Totara Learn only then you will not have some of the extended capabilities of competencies, but you will have the ability to use competencies with learning plans.”
(https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH13/Competencies)

But I could not find a good comparation sheet similar to https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH15/Comparing+Totara+versions

What about goals, does the goals feature have the exact same options in Learn, than in the other products?

Thanks

Meredith Henson
di Meredith Henson - Tuesday, 29 March 2022, 09:27
Gruppo Totara

Hi Csaba,

The What's New pages in the Help Docs break down the new features in each release for core, Learn, Engage and Perform so should do the trick

You might also find the functionality overview documents helpful.  You'll see from those that Goals is a Perform only feature.

Cheers,
Meredith