Totara Perform Open Discussions

Any NHS users of Perform?

Jeet Padaruth
Any NHS users of Perform?
by Jeet Padaruth - Wednesday, 15 June 2022, 2:48 AM

Hi All

We're looking to get started with Perform for appraisals over the next few months with the aim to launch early 2023. We know this system is very new but was wondering if there are any users of perform on here from the NHS?

We would like to ask some questions about your journey to perform, user experiences, etc.

At the moment we're still using a paperbased approach and recording completions on ESR which isnt where you want to be in 2022.

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Jeet.

Daniel Bond
Re: Any NHS users of Perform?
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 15 June 2022, 3:39 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

We're looooong term users of the Appraisal functionality in Totara Learn, and we're also looking to move to Perform at some point soon if we can (because of a number of limitations in the Learn functionality). Not sure if that helps, but I've had a look at earlier versions of Perform (which didn't feel quite "finished"), but I've got high hopes for v16 when we get a chance to start testing that.

Dan

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 15 June 2022, 2:08 PM

Hi Daniel and NHS Community.

As the Perform product Owner I'm extremely interested in understanding the specifics of how the NHS is using Appraisals so we can ensure there's a well understood transition to Perform.

I'd draw your attention to the new v16 helpsite and the new Perform Coaching webinar.  https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25826

The feedback we receive from customers, especially important customer groups like the NHS is critical to the success of Perform.

Overwhelm us with good ideas!

Thanks

Phil

Jeet Padaruth
by Jeet Padaruth - Thursday, 16 June 2022, 2:40 AM

Hi Daniel

Thanks for responding, that is helpful. What were some of the limitations in using Learn for appraisals?

I've heard that same expression several times that the earlier versions didnt feel quite there yet, hopefully v16 hopefully is there.

Jeet.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 16 June 2022, 5:13 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

The biggest limitation for us is around appraisals not really being per-job and not recurring. What that means is:

• we have to create a separate user account for each job, so some people have two or three accounts just to sign off appraisals
  • as a member of staff completes an appraisal, we have to manually push out the next one in the list (which is a copy of the one they've just signed off) rather than the system just re-creating a new appraisal from the same template.

Yes, there will be some other nice things with Perform, but for me at least as long as it supports the same features as Learn (reporting, types of content, handling of changes in manager, etc.) and fixes the above problems then I'm happy to advocate for it in our organisation.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Thursday, 16 June 2022, 2:22 PM

Hi Daniel.  In regard to the issues you mention

• not really being per-job,

Both are supported by Perform since v13. 
    You can assign activities to users by job audiences and have the activities (Appraisals) change as an employee's jobs change. 
    You can use multiple jobs and multiple assignments via posns/orgs and Audiences, so can have activities for internal teams as well as jobs.

and 
  • not recurring.
    There's a lots of capability around repeating activities (v13 enhanced in v16).  You can trigger the next activity based on a number of different triggers at many different periods. 

• Reporting.  Reporting is a bit different in Perform.  I'd discuss your requirements with your partner.
  • Types of content.  All the content types available in Learn are available in Perform.  Notably the redisplay and review content types are considerably better
  • handling of changes in manager.  This is available in v16.  All relationship types in the Job Assignment can be dynamic with choices about how the outgoing user's participation is handled (close it / leave it for them to complete).  We also support the Temp Manager relationship in v16.

Hope that helps

Phil