Totara Learn Open Discussions

User roles - report?

Fiona Bowen
User roles - report?
by Fiona Bowen - Monday, 20 June 2022, 9:42 PM

Hi all,

I'm keen to find a way I can search up a Users Roles in bulk (ie Editing Trainer/Trainer).  We have lots of courses and I"m keen to be able to do a report on who has various role access for which course/s; do a check.  Not just look at this information within each separate course.

Is this possible?  I'm not sure what Source to use to extract this data? - we are using Totara 12.

Kind regards,

Fiona

Nevin Butcher
Re: User roles - report?
by Nevin Butcher - Monday, 20 June 2022, 10:58 PM

Hi Fiona

Strange timing, we were just trying to puzzle this out today ourselves - What we ended up doing is using the bulk user actions section, to identify anyone that held our editing facilitator role in any context - Not a perfect solution, as we still have to then go through and figure out what courses they're involved in etc, however it did help to minimise the size of the job. 

We're on v14

Keen to hear if anyone else has a better way, I trawled through the report sources without any luck. 

Cheers

Nevin

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 21 June 2022, 4:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona

The report builder sources don't have a role filter in them - the bulk user actions is the only place I know where this filter exists.

Further steps in the Bulk user actions to find the course the editing trainers are enrolled in

1. Select the users with editing trainer role and add all these to selected users 
  2. Under With selected users Chose Add to audience 
  3. Create a Course completion report 
  4. Under Access tab select show by audience and select the audience above
  5. This will show all the courses that the editing trainers are enrolled in no matter what role they have in the course.

To filter out the courses that they are a learner rather than an editing trainer is again a problem .  A filter for courses with no grade as trainers aren't a graded role almost works but is is also possible for a learner to have no grade

regards

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Tuesday, 14 May 2024, 7:59 AM

Hi,
I see this discussion of 2022. Now it is almost 2 years later. Is there any news / progress to make a list or report of all editing teachers (or other kind of roles) and for which specific courses they have this role?
I would like to create a role named COURSE CONTENT OWNER (based on Learner) to register who is the content owner per e-learning. With an overview list, we can easily ask people to review the course content every x months.
But I didn't find an option to create such an overview based on assigned roles per course.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 14 May 2024, 3:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Luc

The course role filter is still not available in any reports - to achieve this would require a custom course field called course owner and including the course owner field in the Courses report

regards

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Friday, 5 July 2024, 12:17 AM

Thank you Craig!

Adam Harvey
by Adam Harvey - Thursday, 4 July 2024, 4:44 AM

We are able to do this on our installation through the bulk user actions option in the user admin section - this lets us search for both course and system level roles

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Friday, 5 July 2024, 12:17 AM

I will give that a try Adam! Thanks for sharing