Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Certification

Stephen Catton
Certification
by Stephen Catton - Wednesday, 22 June 2022, 6:43 AM

Hello Folks

I just want to qualify my thinking on the Certifications function. 

Users have to complete a course to Certify and then retake the course on a yearly basis, etc. Using the Certification function, can I use the same course or is it better to make a copy for the Re-Certification? The content will be the same and there will be many enrolled learners using many different Enrollment methods including Certification.

Will the Re-Certification course reset only for the specific user before they take the Re-Certification course for the second time or does it reset the course for all enrolled learners?

Cheers

Stephen

Craig Eves
Re: Certification
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 26 June 2022, 7:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

It is better to have the one course for the Certification and Re-Certification paths so the same course is reset when the certification expires.

Only users that are enrolled in the course through the Certification will have their course reset.

regards

Stephen Catton
by Stephen Catton - Tuesday, 28 June 2022, 12:20 AM

Hi Craig

Thanks for this.

We want to put a lot of people through the Certification and each one could start and Certify at different times. Their re-certify time frame will be calculated from the certificate's expiry date. 

Is it such that the individual in the Certification enrolment will have their course reset relevant to their time frame?

Cheers

Stephen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 28 June 2022, 3:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

It sounds like the setting you have is Use certification expiry date - what happens here is 

The new expiry date based is based on the previous one. The first time this is calculated, it adds the active period to the assignment due date if there is one, otherwise it uses the date the certification was completed.

If the user is overdue or expired, it adds the active period to the date the primary certification was just completed (as if the user was newly assigned), so that certifications are active for a minimum of the active period.

As I understand the expiry is calculated for each user even if they have been assigned by an audience the calculation needs to be done on a user basis.

Regards