Totara Learn Open Discussions

Learning Pathway

Jennifer Lam
Learning Pathway
بواسطة Tuesday, 6 September 2022, 1:51 PM - Jennifer Lam

Hi all,

We provide lots of paid training courses and we would like to give our users a suggested pathway on what courses to take to gain specific diploma. It is up to the client to decide whether they want to follow the pathway. Do you have any suggestions what we can use to display theses pathways?

We can't use program as they cannot have access to the courses until they want to purchase the individual courses. I have been looking into the learning plan but I find that you can't bulk assign a plan? The audience can only assign the template which does not have the courses? The actual plan can only be set per user?

FYI currently using Totara 12.

Thanks

Jennifer

Craig Eves
Re: Learning Pathway
بواسطة Tuesday, 6 September 2022, 7:04 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Jennifer

There is a round about way to assign courses to a learning plan by linking the course to a competency and automatically assigning the competency by organisation or position and include linked courses.

Using a program with alternative course sets for different pathways would be a good structure to have .

You could have one of the course sets having a dummy course that they pay for and the making the actual course only available when the first course has been completed through THEN between course sets

How is the payment for courses managed  is it through a Totara plugin?

Regards

Jennifer Lam
بواسطة Thursday, 8 September 2022, 10:26 AM - Jennifer Lam

Hi Craig,

I have tested this following your suggestion. What I can't figure out is that, when I look at the competency report, the proficiency does not automatically update? So my competency linked courses are both optional and aggregation is any. Does the admins/users need to update the proficiency?

Basically we sell a bunch of courses and if they do a certain combination of courses then they get the diploma. But the users can buy the courses individually and no obligations on completing the diploma. It is just kind of a suggestion and if they follow then they get the diploma. (Strange! I know!)

Users must complete at least 1 course in Set 1, at least 1 course in Set 2 and up to 2 courses in Set 3.

I created 'Set 1' as the competency and added the courses in; and hoping if the user complete 1 course then the Set 1 would be completed in the competency report. Then if they completed all 3 sets, i.e., 3 competencies, then the learning plan, i.e. the diploma, is completed.

As mentioned before, they should not have access to all courses in all set, only if they decide to buy the course within these sets. That's why I went to look into something more like a suggested pathway rather than a program. But the program course set would be perfect!

Thanks

Jennifer

Craig Eves
بواسطة Thursday, 8 September 2022, 4:42 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Jennifer

There are a few tasks that are scheduled for performance purpose. 

The aggregation of competencies sounds like this should be - although I looked at the scheduled task list and couldn't see one around this. 

If after a day the proficiency isn't updated then there may be something not working in the task processing (cron)

reagrds

Jennifer Lam
بواسطة Friday, 9 September 2022, 1:54 AM - Jennifer Lam

Hi Craig,

I have run the cron but still no luck.

May I ask what is the competency path on the report?

If only one course out of all listed courses need to be completed, do I put all courses as optional and no aggregation?

Thanks
Jennifer

Paul Lowndes
بواسطة Friday, 9 September 2022, 3:29 AM - Paul Lowndes
مجموعة Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Craig

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread. Thanks for the advice. 

We would also like to explore using learning plans in this way but without the payment gateway. We are also on V12 but upgrading soon to v16

we would like to assign sets of courses to users following an appraisal. We dont plan to use Totara for appraisals but would like to be able to assign courses as a follow up. A couple of questions 

1. Are learning plans still available in V16?

2. can you assign learning plans with sets of courses pre-populated to individuals and audiences as well as through positions and orgs?

Thanks

Craig Eves
بواسطة Monday, 30 October 2023, 7:25 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Paul

Apologies for missing your questions

1 Are learning plans still available in V16? yes they are still available in 16 and 17

2. Can you assign learning plans with sets of courses pre-populated to individuals and audiences as well as through positions and orgs?

This can be done indirectly by creating a competency with linked course and setting automatic assignment and include linked courses.

You would also need to auto-create learning plans through audiences

regards