Totara Engage Open Discussions

Linking courses in Engage resources?

Tobias Hauser
Linking courses in Engage resources?
by Tobias Hauser - Wednesday, 21 September 2022, 7:13 AM
Group Partners

Hi everyone,

is there an easy way (availible or planned) to connect a resource to a course? I am aware of linking the course url in the resource, but I would hope for a more comfortable way fetching the course out of a list and showing a course tile or something similar.

Best,
Tobias

Craig Eves
Re: Linking courses in Engage resources?
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 16 October 2022, 5:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tobias

There is an existing feature request Tl-31108 to integrate courses and Engage more 

You could add the same Engage topic as the Course tag and the course catalog would bring up courses and Engage content with the same tag (topic) 

Regards

Tobias Hauser
by Tobias Hauser - Monday, 17 October 2022, 6:13 AM
Group Partners

Hi Craig,

great, thank you!

I had a look at the feature request. It does not contain much information. For us this integrration is cruical for the combination of structured and social learning. So if it would be helpful we could provide informations about the requirements of our customers to this point.

Best,
Tobias

Brendan Kilshaw
by Brendan Kilshaw - Thursday, 27 October 2022, 5:34 AM

Hi Craig,

We are on T14 and when we have tried this we've found that the Engage Resource Topics and Course tags are treated separately in the course catalogue filters, so it's not possible to filter for both Resources and Courses using tags. Is that right, or have we missed something?

Kind regards

Brendan

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 27 October 2022, 1:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brendan 

I think you are right - the tags for Topics including resources, surveys and playlists and the default collection are separate and it isn't possible to move the tags for topics into the default collection unfortunately.

The feature request should address this issue

Regards

Brendan Kilshaw
by Brendan Kilshaw - Friday, 28 October 2022, 2:12 AM

Hi Craig,

Great to hear that this is being considered in the feature request. We love Engage and having closer functional links with courses sounds like an exciting development of the product. Are there any plans to link back the other way? For example the ability to add Engage resources to courses, or the ability to set the creation of an Engage resource as an activity for a student in a course?

Regards

Brendan