Totara Learn Open Discussions

Seminar Registration of Interest / Enrol on Course

Raechel Wilson
Seminar Registration of Interest / Enrol on Course
by Raechel Wilson - Wednesday, 21 September 2022, 4:37 PM

Hi everyone

We currently have seminars set up on courses where users are required to enroll themselves to register their interest.

This is causing some issues as some people are enrolling themselves to look at the course details and then not registering their interest if they don't want to, will never do the course or have realised it's not relevant to their job. However because they have enrolled themselves the course now shows on their record of learning as 0%.

I am proposing we set those courses containing seminars (where we are asking for people to register their interest) with the user enrolment method of guest access. This seems to resolve this problem upon testing in which users are no longer enrolled until they register their interest or are booked to attend the seminar.

Is there any implications we aren't aware of around this approach?

If this method isn't suitable, how would you approach this?

Thanks

Raechel

Nathan Harris
Re: Seminar Registration of Interest / Enrol on Course
by Nathan Harris - Wednesday, 21 September 2022, 9:07 PM

Hi Raechel,

We had a similar issue with users deciding a course wasn't appropriate after viewing the course page but the course would stay on their record even after unenrolling.

We found this was happening because people were being marked as 'In Progress' as soon as they enrolled in the course just to view it.  There is a setting called 'Mark as In Progress on first view'.  We now have this unticked and users can now view a course page and when they unenroll the course disappears for their record.  You can find the setting in Course administration>Edit settings>Completion tracking.

We found it better than guest access as my understanding is anyone, even people without accounts, can view a course if you have guest access turned on.  I could be wrong about that though.

Cheers

Nathan