Totara Learn Open Discussions

Gradebook Excluding Activities from learners

Renee Tregonning
Gradebook Excluding Activities from learners
de Renee Tregonning - Wednesday, 2 de November de 2022, 17:39
Grupo Partners

Hi everyone,

We have a scenario where a course has a 'rolling' enrolment (students are able to start a course at anytime and work through at their own pace). This course runs over an 18month period and there are times that activities need to be archived, hidden or updated.

To allow flexibility for activities to be added we are looking at setting the Totara Course Completion with the criteria that the student must receive 100% Grade with no other criteria.

We have been playing around with the gradebook to see what we can do for the scenario where a student enrolled a week ago (Group 1) and is completing Quiz 1a but now there is a new Quiz 1b which all new learners (Group 2) will need to complete.

I'm positive this group has come across this, what is the best way to manage this scenario.

We have a formula that is working which relies on the administrator to Exclude Quiz 1a (for Group 2) or 1b (for Group 1) however this is a manual process. This would be fine for Group 1 (as part of the updating process) however Group 2 would be ongoing which is not feasible for scalability. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Renee

Craig Eves
Re: Gradebook Excluding Activities from learners
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 3 de November de 2022, 16:02
Grupo Totara

Hi Renee

I think that creating a grade calculation in the gradebook that calculates the maximum grade of the quizzes would mean that the user has to achieve 100 on one of the quizzes to pass the course.

=max([[Assessed Quiz 1]], [[Assessed Quiz 2]], [[Assessed Quiz 3]])

regards

Renee Tregonning
de Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 3 de November de 2022, 22:14
Grupo Partners

Thank you Craig, this is great. Just learning now about gradebook calculations.

Wondering what the formula would be for the following:

• Quiz 1a
  • Quiz 1b
  • Quiz 2
  • Quiz 3

Total = (max quiz 1a, quiz1b) + quiz 2 + quiz3

How would you show this... been attempting with no success.

Renee

Renee Tregonning
de Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 3 de November de 2022, 22:43
Grupo Partners

I think I worked it out

=sum((max([[quiz1a]]*.5, [[quiz1b]]*.5)), [[quiz2]]*.25, [[quiz3]]*.25)