Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Creating new FY courses & structure????

Bec Mathie
Creating new FY courses & structure????
by Bec Mathie - Monday, 13 February 2023, 3:24 PM

Hi all,

just wondering what other companies do with their structure around all courses for the FY?

Is it best to set up a folder for the year and the courses by year (as in naming it 'manual handling 2022' or 'manual handling 2023')

or should we try to set up certifications for a course if the user needs to do that course every year?

we find that certifications can be challenging because if the person does the training outside of the window it is due then the date is not recorded in their record of learning.

any comments would be greatly received.

Thank you

Andrew Metcalfe
Re: Creating new FY courses & structure????
by Andrew Metcalfe - Monday, 13 February 2023, 4:31 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022

Having had considerable experience with certifications and various ways of recurring courses, given the minimal admin required to publish an annual course, I'd go that route and avoid certifications. 

Alternatively, you could use a single course and manually archive completions on Jan 1 each year. If at the same time you're updating content, just hide the previous content, add new and change course completion criteria. The SCORM report and course report carry the history of who completed what, when.

cheers, Andrew

Bec Mathie
by Bec Mathie - Monday, 13 February 2023, 5:33 PM

thanks Andrew for taking the time to respond.

Jussi Tuominen
by Jussi Tuominen - Monday, 6 March 2023, 9:13 AM

We have used certificates somewhat successfully from version 12 but now (after upgrade! to 16) we are told that they do not work for any admin role users... and have never worked - the feature of totara that I find very difficult to eat.  We are also thinking alternative solutions for continuous compliance. Let you know if we find a better solution.  
Naina Manga-Virtue
by Naina Manga-Virtue - Tuesday, 7 March 2023, 3:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jussie, 
I believe this is the Certificates plugin from Moodle that makes the design of certificates easier to customise. From what I understand this certificate module is in use because the Certificate module in Totara Learn doesn't allow as much customisation as our customers need. 

You are correct, Totara Learn should have a better experience for our customers around creating certificates. We have in fact, done a review of this in the past and we estimated that it would take a couple of months at least to get the plugin refactored for production quality that would be suitable for integration into Totara core code. With the opportunity cost of this initiative so high, we've made the decision to put it on our backlog for now. The intention is to pick it up again in the future, but at this stage I can't commit to a release date. 

Thank for raising this and putting your voice into this discussion.