Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Youtube Videos Display in Mobile App

Kristian Hargreaves
Youtube Videos Display in Mobile App
by Kristian Hargreaves - Tuesday, 4 April 2023, 7:10 AM
Group Learn Site AdministratorGroup Partners

Hi There,

I have a quick question regarding how the mobile app displays embedded videos. 

One of our customers is having an issue with getting their embedded youtube videos (from their desktop course) to display as embedded videos within the mobile app also.

On the totara academy there is some imagery that appears to to show videos showing as embedded items within the mobile, as we are struggling to make this happen, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or point out the obvious that I may be missing here.

Many thanks,

Kris

Craig Eves
Re: Youtube Videos Display in Mobile App
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 5 April 2023, 7:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kristiam

I can see there have been some problems fixed in various mobile versions, screen resolutions  and OS - I will ask the community team if there is something they have done to make embedded Youtube video work better.

regards

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Thursday, 6 April 2023, 2:21 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Kris,

If you are using the mobile app, you'll need to use the weka editor to add your content.

You can set the weka editor as your default text editor in your sites repositories page at:

/admin/settings.php?section=manageeditors

Once you are using the weka editor, you can then simply copy paste your YouTube video URL into the editor, and it will automatically embed your video.

Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Thursday, 6 April 2023, 3:15 AM

Hi Jordan from what you said I tried

1. turn editor to mobile friendly 
  2. his save to switch to mobile view (no idea how to get that back to html by the way)
  3. inserted link to (in our case Vimeo)
  4. save and closed

on web page the video doesn't show as below, although it does show whilst still in editor

on mobile the frame does show but it doesn't like the embed code from Totara

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Wednesday, 12 April 2023, 6:11 AM

Hi Adam,

You are right, this doesn't seem to work for Vimeo links.

I've raised a support ticket about this with our helpdesk team.

As a workaround, you could use the URL activity to provide a link for any users using the mobile app.

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Thursday, 13 April 2023, 1:13 AM
 Hi Adam,

You'll need to enable the vimeo player in order to embed these videos on your site.

To do this go to /admin/settings.php?section=managemediaplayers in your Totara site, and toggle the enable option next to vimeo.

Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Thursday, 13 April 2023, 2:45 AM

yep already enabled as you can see here embedding as normal works fine but the mobile friendly one doesn't show

The video does show when in editor as shown here , just to note the video is set to unlisted (not private) 

when you load the page it gives a 404 in the web inspector because it appears to but ?h= for the second forward slash ?

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Thursday, 13 April 2023, 9:56 AM

Hi Adam,

I was having the same issue as you. I was able to embed the video in the HTML editor, but no video would show after saving and returning to the course page.

After enabling the Vimeo media player the video would then show on the course page.

I've sent you an email to see if I can help troubleshoot your issue a little further.