Totara Learn Open Discussions

Preventing users being able to add participants to a seminar event if they are not enrolled on the course

Pete Truran
Preventing users being able to add participants to a seminar event if they are not enrolled on the course
by Pete Truran - Monday, 24 April 2023, 8:31 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi,

I would like some clarification on some functionality for one of our customers. 

They have a Partner role which has the permission to add users to seminar events with the permission [mod/facetoface:addattendees].
When Partners view the list of users who are able to be added, they can see all participants within their tenant. This causes an issue as sometimes participants are accidentally added to events for a course they are not enrolled on. This means the participant is manually enrolled on the relevant course in error. The Partners should not be able to enrol users to courses and do not have the permission [enrol/manual:enrol].

Partners also add users via the file upload option, which again will enrol participants who are not already enrolled on the course.

Is this behaviour intended, where users are available to be added to an event of a course they are not enrolled onto, and is there a permission that I am missing that will restrict a user's ability to only add participants to an event for a course they are already enrolled on?

Thanks,
Pete

Craig Eves
Re: Preventing users being able to add participants to a seminar event if they are not enrolled on the course
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 27 April 2023, 4:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Pete

I can confirm that adding the permission [mod/facetoface:addattendees].doers allow a user to select users who are not enrolled in the course and selecting the user as an attendee does enrol them in the course.

This is the expected behaviour - if this isn't what you are wanting then an approval workflow or disabling the manual enrolment method for the course should prevent the wrong users being added.

I am not sure why unenrolled users are shown when selecting attendees for seminars possibly as seminars are often the only activity in a course 

regards

Kerstin Franz
Re: Preventing users being able to add participants to a seminar event if they are not enrolled on the course
by Kerstin Franz - Wednesday, 21 February 2024, 7:47 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Craig,

is there a way to restrict the users that may be added to a seminar to only the enrolled users in the course? This poses a data security risk with our customer (or many customers in fact) since editing trainers should only be able to see the enrolled users and trainers should only be able to see the users within their group.

Regards