Totara Learn Open Discussions

Hide admin Cog icon for certain users

Sven Spillebeen
Hide admin Cog icon for certain users
بواسطة Wednesday, 17 May 2023, 2:35 PM - Sven Spillebeen

Is there a way to hide the cog icon (as shown below next to bell icon) for certain users?

Craig Eves
Re: Hide admin Cog icon for certain users
بواسطة Thursday, 18 May 2023, 7:19 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Sven

This quick access cog will disappear if the user's role that is assigned to them doesn't have any admin permissions allowed 

By default the  learner or authentiocated user doesn't have any admin permissions

regards

Sven Spillebeen
بواسطة Sunday, 21 May 2023, 11:40 AM - Sven Spillebeen

Hey

Thnx for the answer, but isn't there a way to hide it even when an user has certain admin roles.

For example, like when a person has rights to see users in his audience but i would like to create a menu item leading them to the user page instead of letting them use the cog?

I hope I am clear with my question.

thnx in advance

Craig Eves
بواسطة Sunday, 21 May 2023, 3:08 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Sven

Thanks for clarifying 

It is possible to edit the default quick access menu items that appear for users to not include the menu item and add a html block  with links to the to the menu items in  the user's dashboard or course/site page 

Regards

Sven Spillebeen
بواسطة Sunday, 21 May 2023, 11:47 PM - Sven Spillebeen

Hey Craig

thnx again for the help, solved my problem

Eva Zeng
بواسطة Wednesday, 26 July 2023, 8:51 AM - Eva Zeng

Hi Crag,

I have the same request as Sven for my organization. Would you mind sharing the steps to hide the cog icon for all the users (even if they have access to certain menu items)?

Thank you Very much,

Craig Eves
بواسطة Thursday, 27 July 2023, 8:33 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Eva

Can you try preventing the permission Edit your own quick access menu for the authenticated user role?

regards

Eva Zeng
بواسطة Monday, 31 July 2023, 7:17 AM - Eva Zeng

Hi Craig,

I followed your suggestion to set it to prevent "Edit your own quick access menu" for authenticated user role. When logging in as a regular user, I still see the cog icon, which provides the user a link to the Courses and categories page. Since users can access all available training on the Find Learning page, is it possible to remove the cog icon including this link?

Craig Eves
بواسطة Monday, 31 July 2023, 4:19 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Eva

There may be other permissions on the Authenticated user role that allow access to the Learning menu. The default authenticated user shouldn't allow these

Are you able to check the default role settings for the authenticated user to see the permissions that have been changed from the default by going to <sitename>/admin/roles/roledefaults.php

regards

Eva Zeng
بواسطة Tuesday, 1 August 2023, 5:48 AM - Eva Zeng

Hi Craig, 

Here is the screenshot, I noticed that the default is "allow" on our site. Any insight on this? 

Thanks,

Craig Eves
بواسطة Tuesday, 1 August 2023, 4:26 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Eva

What version of Totara do you have - the default setting may have changed between versions.

regards

Eva Zeng
بواسطة Thursday, 3 August 2023, 10:55 AM - Eva Zeng

Hi Craig,

We are using Version 15. In the Version 12 we had in the past, the cog icon wasn't available for regular users, which was good(avoiding confusion, etc.). That's why I am looking for solutions to hide it.

Jane Rutherford
بواسطة Wednesday, 24 January 2024, 2:34 AM - Jane Rutherford

Hi Craig

I've posted a longer version of this in the Reports thread - but this cog has suddenly appeared for a cohort of users, giving them access to the 'all users' embedded report, across all of our separate offices. A big issue for us.

I've checked the permissions of several of them (there are over 200) and none have admin permissions in their role (s). All the roles involved are set to 'prevent' for the core:edit entries, yet the cog remains.

In addition to this, the LMS has not been touched by us since before Xmas. No changes made whatsoever.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you

Jane