Totara Learn Open Discussions

Search operators for reports

Natalia Kurikova
Search operators for reports
by Natalia Kurikova - Thursday, 15 June 2023, 10:35 PM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi

Is there an option to use search operators in report search? For instance, if we need to filter out the users whose Position full name contains Casual, Visitor or Assistant. I can do "contains casual", but it doesn't seem to work with AND or +.

Craig Eves
Re: Search operators for reports
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 18 June 2023, 7:27 PM
Group Totara

Hi Natalia

There is a filter User's Position(s) in some report sources

This filter allows you to filter information based on all job assignments. The filter has the following options:

• is any value: This option disables the filter (i.e. all information is accepted by this filter).

• Any of the selected: This option will show users that have any of the selected items in any of their job assignments.

• None of the selected: This option will show users that have none of the selected items in any of their job assignments.

• All of the selected: This option will show users that have all of the selected items in any of their job assignments. (Note that they can have more than the selected items).

• Not all of the selected: This option will show users that don't have all of the selected items in their job assignments.

For positions and organisations once items have been selected you can use the Include children? checkbox to choose whether to match only that item, or match that item and any sub-items belonging to that item.

regards

Natalia Kurikova
by Natalia Kurikova - Sunday, 2 July 2023, 3:51 PM

Thanks a lot, Craig!

I've been playing with this one, and, unfortunately, it is not available in the report source we're using. We're using the Users source to find users who have a job assignment with no manager. I think for this we might actually be able to use an audience to limit the users that are shown in the report.

But is it safe to say that in general, in the Report Builder, we can use filters with options (if those are available, eg any of the selected, etc), but not text search operators? I found a reference to the course multi-select filter in one of the earlier discussions, and that one was super-helpful as well! Is there a list of such multi-select filters anywhere?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 2 July 2023, 6:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Natalia

It is safe to say that report builder does not support text search operator OR NOT and wildcards . There are some multi select filters in areas such as course and categories to get around this.

We are looking at integrating a third party report builder in future releases to make reporting more flexible

regards

Natalia Kurikova
by Natalia Kurikova - Monday, 3 July 2023, 4:03 PM

Thank you very much, Craig! That's great to know about the possibility of a third-party report builder.