Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

"separate completin criteria"

Carla Bradley
"separate completin criteria"
by Carla Bradley - Tuesday, 29 August 2023, 6:13 AM

Hi. We have a several courses in which we archived completions for thousands of our users to retake. 90% of those whose completions were archived are able to retake those courses with no issue.

However, some users, on their first time visiting the course page after the archive, automatically and immediately are marked complete without re-completing the activities -- just by viewing the page. This is a very serious issue for us, as legally these users are required to retake these courses.

We are pretty clueless on how to proceed. The completions are already archived so I can't really do anything else. However, we do notice one thing about these users who complete; In the Completion Editor, on the Criteria and Activities tab, if you go to the quiz (which is one of the required activities) it will show as completed, but when you click the gear by the quiz it will indicate the it used "separate completion criteria."

What the heck is "separate completion" criteria, and is there any way I can force my system to NOT use separate completion criteria? I have combed throug the configuration and not found anything. I have programmers on site who can make a change if we just know what change to make. But I can't keep having these users be automatically recompleted. Unless they are honest and call our help desk, I don't even know it's happening, and this will turn into a legal issue. Please help 🙂

Totara version 12; self-hosted.

Craig Eves
Re: "separate completin criteria"
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 17 September 2023, 3:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carla

Apologies for the late answer - I have been on a long break.

The use separate completion data means that the activity is not being completed through the criteria that is required to complete the activity but having its completion manually set.

For example if the quiz activity has a completion criteria of grade > 50 then if this setting is used then the activity ignores the grade and completes based on the completion status manually set.

If you need to adjust a quiz grading then this should be done through the grade book and manually overriding the grade to achieve the pass rather than using the course completion editor and 'use separate completion data'

To fix this the completion editor needs the use separate completion data changed for the individuals this applies to. Unfortunately the completion editor only shows one record at a time so would be very time consuming to change manually. I can't think of an automated way to do this so suspect a script needs to be created to change the setting..

Are you or your partner able to create a ticket detailing the activity completion criteria and what records you are requiring to be changed

regards