Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

What happens to v12 Legacy Notifications in v16?

Mark Pavlovich
What happens to v12 Legacy Notifications in v16?
by Mark Pavlovich - Tuesday, 24 October 2023, 8:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I have several questions regarding changes in Notifications from v12 to v16. I see an option for accepting v12 Legacy Notifications into a new build for v16.

My questions are:

• Will these Notifications require editing from v12 formatting: %variable_name% to v16 formatting: [varialbe_name], or does v16 automatically change the legacy variable identifiers % % to the new format [ ]?

• Along those same lines, will the editing capabilities of Legacy Notifications be transformed into v16 formats including:

• editing existing notifications?

• adding new notifications?

• adding new variables available in 16 but not in 12?

• "Legacy" suggests that these will go away at some point. Assuming that Totara does not transform Legacy Notifications into the new format, how long will the Legacy Notifications work until we have to change the format?

Thanks in advance.

Craig Eves
Re: What happens to v12 Legacy Notifications in v16?
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 24 October 2023, 5:21 PM
Group Totara

Hi Mark

When a site is upgraded from non centralised notifications the legacy notifications will be imported d into centralised notifications with the new placeholder format and be able to be edited using the centralised notification format.

This works well except for customised seminar notifications which will need to be manually adjusted so may not be able to be done all at once. There is a transitioning guide that goes through the options of moving these all at once or gradually.

Legacy seminar notifications will at some time be deprecated but we will give plenty of warning and there will be some strategy in place to ensure old notifications will not be lost.

regards

Mark Pavlovich
Re: What happens to v12 Legacy Notifications in v16?
by Mark Pavlovich - Wednesday, 25 October 2023, 5:46 AM

Craig,

+1 for your help. This information is exactly what I was looking for.

I especially appreciate the link to the Transitioning Guide.

Cheers.