Totara Learn Open Discussions

Program / Certification logic (AND/OR)

Daniel Bond
Program / Certification logic (AND/OR)
بواسطة Wednesday, 13 March 2024, 7:45 AM - Daniel Bond
مجموعة Most helpful contributor 2023

Having a play with the new Program creation workflow for v18, really like the new course selection (and looking forward to Certifications getting updated as well). One thing that's not improved however is the ability to clearly arrange grouping (AND, OR, THEN) of sets of topics, and it makes using the feature difficult. For example:

• A user must complete course A, and then course B.
    This is easy. You have a course set with Course A in, a course set with Course B in, and a "Then" between them

• A user must complete course A, and then either course B or course C.
    Again, easy, two course sets with a "Then" between them (with the second course set requiring only one course be completed)

• A user must complete course A, and then either courses B and C, or course D.
    Now we hit a problem. Course A is in a course set on it's own, courses B and C are in a course set (requiring all courses) and then D is in a course set (again, requiring all). After the first course set, we has a "Then" (because you must complete the first course set before anything else), but when I select "Or" between the second and third course sets, which of these will be a valid flow?

• A then B and C

• A then D

• Just D

Are the two groups the "Or" is acting on course sets 2 and 3, or course sets 1&2 and 3?

The interface doesn't give any hint as to which items are being grouped together, and for more complex examples it will be important to precisely group things because Then, Or and And might be behaving in different ways within the same Program.

Naina Manga-Virtue
Re: Program / Certification logic (AND/OR)
بواسطة Wednesday, 13 March 2024, 12:56 PM - Naina Manga-Virtue
مجموعة Totara

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback on the new program creation workflow!

I can totally acknowledge the challenges that you've highlighted, especially regarding the grouping of course set logical operators - AND, OR and THEN.

Our primary goal with this update was to simplify the process of creating programs and to try to reduce the inherent complexities. Having said that, the complexity of what Learn allows with regards to program structures can be challenging to clearly illustrate through the interface. We recognise that we didn't hit the mark this time. But I really appreciate your input into this. It's shown us exactly where we need to be better.

Your comment has already prompted me and the team to think about how we better identify and address these challenges in future releases.

Keep the feedback coming Daniel! We love it 🙂

Thanks,

Naina