Totara Perform Open Discussions

Using certs to reset a competency

Ashley Mundy
Using certs to reset a competency
بواسطة Monday, 24 June 2024, 7:57 PM - Ashley Mundy
مجموعة Totara

Expiring or resetting Competencies

I've been asked a few times whether we will be able to build in expiry dates or logic into Competency achievement paths - so that they behave a bit more like Certifications.

I'd like to share how you can have competency or proficiency reset based on resetting course completion. First, a learner will have to be assigned or enrolled in both the competency and certification, so that the course completion satisfies competency requirements, and is managed by the certification.

Competency Achievement Path

The achievement path should be configured so that your competence scale is achieved via course completion.

You'll also want a scale value based on competency assignment, this is what the competency will default back to.

Course completion

The premise is that resetting course completion (tied to a competency scale value achievement path) will remove the achievement criteria, meaning the learner is no longer competent.

You can either manually reset course completion, OR include the course as part of a certification, where completion reset occurs on a schedule.

Scheduled tasks

One thing to note - there are a few tasks that must run for this process to occur successfully, so the results may not be immediate.

I found that we had to enable \totara_competency\task\competency_aggregation_all for this to workI am unsure if there were additional tasks not yet completed that would make the above scheduled task unnecessary.

Please let me know if this works for you, or if it doesn't! I'm interested in hearing whether this works for your use cases or not.

Cheers,
Ashley