Best practice forum (Archived)

How do other users document university degrees?

Susan Neumans Van Buren
How do other users document university degrees?
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Monday, 23 February 2015, 5:44 AM

I'm curious to know how others have documented university degrees in Totara. I'm not looking to document individual courses taken in pursuit of the degree, but only degree completions. I need this information to be searchable, so I am curious to know have you used certifications or simply documented them as RPLs? 

Best regards,

Susan

Michelle Lamont
Re: How do other users document university degrees?
by Michelle Lamont - Thursday, 26 February 2015, 1:23 PM

Hi Susan,

I haven't documented degrees yet in Totara, but I've been thinking about tackling this one soon.  My plan is to use 'Other Evidence' and in the Evidence Type field select the qualitification type, i.e. Degree, Certificate, etc.  This field can be pre-populated with the relevant types you require.  You can then use the 'Other Evidence' report to view the data.  Using 'Other Evidence' saves you from having to setup a basic course shell to capture completion, but I guess it comes down to the requirements of your organisation.

For quals that require renewal after a period of time, such as First Aid Certificates, I'll be using Certifications.

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Susan Neumans Van Buren
Re: How do other users document university degrees?
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Friday, 27 February 2015, 5:52 AM

Hi Michelle!

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll check that option out. It looks like it may work well for us, too!

Best regards,

Susan