Best practice forum (Archived)

Reflective Learning

? ?
Reflective Learning
by ? ? - Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 7:37 AM

Hi all,

I work within the legal sector and we have just implemented Totara (v2.6).  I'm currently speaking with our HR department to see how Totara can assist with appraisals.  I'm happy I fully understand the appraisal system and have set up appraisals that reflect the current paper based version.

However, as part of the appraisal and general learning, our users are doing more 'reflective learning' whereby after a course the users have to reflect on whether the course met expectations, how they want to implement what they've learned etc...

I'm struggling to find the best solution of how to integrate this into Totara.  Some of the courses will be internal and some from external companies at their premises.  I wonder whether it is simply a case of add evidence to My Learning and attaching a form where they added their comments on reflection.  If anybody has any other suggestions or solutions I would be really happy to hear them.

Many thanks in advance.

Joe Gange
Re: Reflective Learning
by Joe Gange - Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 8:26 AM
Group Partners

Hi Andy,

This sounds like a perfect usage of a feedback activity at the end of the course unless the reflective learning is not tied to a specific course. Another option might be a blog activity or even an external blog.

Are these entries meant to reviewed by a manager or supervisor as part of the performance management process?

Is this learning part of larger unit of learning such as a learning plan?

? ?
Re: Reflective Learning
by ? ? - Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 1:31 AM

Hi Joe,

I thought about the feedback activity, which would be great when it is attached to a specific course, however sometimes it won't be.

I do believe the entries may need to be reviewed by a manager, as part of an appraisal, or in other circumstances, for example trainees being reviewed by their supervisor.  In terms of trainees, I thought about adding a course with all the sections, and within each section having a journal (using the journal moodle plugin) where they could update entries and the manager can review them, and then these could be brought in to the appraisal.