Best practice forum (Archived)

Enrolling an audience on a certification and not just assigning them

Stephen Cope
Enrolling an audience on a certification and not just assigning them
by Stephen Cope - Friday, 1 May 2015, 6:53 AM

I have created a certification, users are assigned it when a custom field in their profile is completed they are assigned to an audience, that intern is assigned to the certification.

What I want to do is when a user is assigned to an audience they are enrolled on the certification and automatically get the email notifications that I have set up. The below is from Totara help.

Learners can be assigned to complete the certification based on their organisation, position, audience, hierarchy or as an individual. When a new learner is assigned to a group such as an organisation, position or audience they will automatically be assigned to the certification.

Note: As soon as learners are enrolled in the certification, they will automatically receive an enrolment notification message via email and on their dashboard. Many administrators choose to customize the messages prior to setting up enrolments. Click on the Messages tab and jump ahead to the Messages section of the documentation.

So my question is how can I enrol them automatically via an audience and not just assign them.

Thanks

Craig Eves
Re: Enrolling an audience on a certification and not just assigning them
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 4 May 2015, 3:45 PM
Group Totara

It is possible to enrol in a certification by adding the certificate  In the Audience Enrolled Learning tab

Site Admin > Users Accounts > Audiences 

Navigate to the Enrolled Learning tab and add the certificate.

The assigning of the person to the certificate is equivalent to enrolling the person in the Certificate . You can confirm this by assigning an audience to the Certificate  and then viewing the enrolled learning in the Audience as described above.

You can use dynamic audience based on rules to automatically assign people - be aware that if users no longer meet the audience rules they will be unenrolled.

Craig

Stephen Cope
by Stephen Cope - Tuesday, 5 May 2015, 6:15 AM

It works up until a point.  I add a new user and complete the profile field, which adds them to the audience.  They then show up as being added to the certification under the assignments tab in the certification, but they are not receiving the automated enrolment notice set up in the messages section in certifications with their instructions on. 

I get an email notifying that the user has been added to the audience but that’s it.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 5 May 2015, 2:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

It sounds like you have set this up correctly - the assigned users should get the message sent  when they are assigned/enrolled in the certificate via the audience.

Can you confirm that

• the Audience has the Certificate in the enrolled   Enrolled Learning tab.
  • there are not any Exceptions showing in the Certification 
  • the certificate shows in the record of learning
  • the version of Totara you are using

Stephen Cope
by Stephen Cope - Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 1:17 AM

Hi Craig,

Yes the audience has the certification in the 'enrolled learning tab'

There are no exceptions showing in the certification

The certificate shows in the record of learning

Totara version is 2.5.17

Thanks

Stephen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 1:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

I will create a support ticket and communicate through this for this as this behaviour isn't the expected behaviour.

regards

Craig

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 4:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

Sorry you should be going through your Totara partner to report this and they will create a support ticket for this issue. 

Craig

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 20 May 2015, 3:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi guys,

Can you check what versions you are testing on? And have you tried running cron?

cheers,

George.