Best practice forum (Archived)

Listing hidden courses in "Recent Learning".

Aldo Paradiso
Listing hidden courses in "Recent Learning".
by Aldo Paradiso - Monday, 20 April 2015, 4:52 AM
Group Partners

Hello everyone,

as you know, the "My Learning" shows the "Recent Learning" list of all courses in which the logged user is or has been enrolled into.

Now, it happens to us that we may want to hide a course to users even if the user has been enrolled into it. There are many possible reasons to do it. For example, the course may be in an update phase, or the course may be too old and substituted by new courses, or a course may have been split into two or more courses or merged into other courses. For some reasons we may want to keep track of the course and its enrolled users even if it is not visible to the users.

That's why we may tag the course with "hide". The course itself will then be invisible to the user. However, I found out that once the course will be hidden, it happens that:
a) the course link is still visible in the "Recent Learning" list;
b) when clicking on the link, the following message appears:

This course is currently unavailable to students
              <link>More information about this error</link>

The fact is that listing here a hidden course confuses me.

Does it make sense:

a) to hide a course to a user and having the course link still visible in the "Recent Learning" list?
b) to have a not better specified "More information about this error" link pointing (at least at the moment) at a dead or empty moodle doc page?

Hiding a course to a user means that he / she cannot see the name or even details of this course, and that the course does not even appear in search results. The course is "de facto" completely invisible and unreachable to the user. Therefore it is difficult for us to understand why the course link should still be visible in the "Recent Learning" list.

Totara system version  used: 2.6.14 (Build: 20141114.00)

Does someone of you have an explanation for this that I did not yet realize?

Thanks for a reply!

Aldo

Aldo Paradiso
Re: Listing hidden courses in "Recent Learning".
by Aldo Paradiso - Tuesday, 21 April 2015, 2:09 AM
Group Partners

Hello everybody,

I just installed the version 7.2.1 and in this version the hidden courses are NOT listed anymore in the "Recent Learning" list. So, the issue has been apperently solved.

Aldo

Aldo Paradiso
Re: Listing hidden courses in "Recent Learning".
by Aldo Paradiso - Tuesday, 21 April 2015, 2:20 AM
Group Partners

Sorry, I meant of course version 2.7.1.